Wednesday, July 10, 2013

a sense of dollars

The best things in life are free


But you can keep them for the birds and bees;

Now give me money, (that’s what I want)…that’s what I want, that’s what I want, yeah…

[“Money (That’s What I Want)”—written by Barrett Strong, recorded-Flying Lizards…]

--------------------------

I wish – (that will help, right?!) – that parents would never burden their children with money worries – because little kids can’t do anything about making more money, or cutting costs….And it gives them a fear, and a stress, about Money which is unhelpful, because they learn the fear-stress before they are mature enough to learn the practical aspects of

Money-management

Financial security, and

Wealth.

They feel like they “lost” before they’re even old enough to start the “game”….I think…

-------------------------------

A school principal testifying before a state legislative committee talked to them about how

Unlimited needs

Co-exist

With

Limited resources.

(Some people might say, “well d-uh” but it made sense – how he broke it down to the real, plain components and spoke about the situation free from the emotional baggage that sometimes – most of the time? – weighs down & confuses discussions and considerations about money.)

Children can be taught about money and finance in a proactive way, a little at a time, so that they can learn it and it’s a positive process, not just constant “No” and “can’t-afford”…

I remember being “at the mall” with a family, and the children wanted to buy things, and their dad would look at the thing and ask, “Now, is that a need? Or a want?”

(“Aahh—I see what he’s doin’ there,” I thought….)

-------------------------------

A guy I knew told me one time:

“Here were all these guys complaining about the amount of money their wives spend on craft supplies, and there they were – the husbands -- sitting around with all of their expensive hunting gear…you know how Much that stuff Costs??”

Mmh – Yeah, I suppose….

--------------------

I encountered these people who would drive 50 miles to buy blue jeans for five dollars at this big supply store –

Mr. IS-THAT-A-NEED-OR-A-WANT said, “Them guys’r crazy. …”



“ Whenever you’re sitting across from some important person, always picture him sitting there in a suit of long red underwear. That’s the way I always operated in business.” -- Joseph P. Kennedy.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment