Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Silver Springs all over


People know this phenomenon, where -- you notice something, or learn something, or buy something, and as it figures in your awareness, then you start -- seeing it everyplace!  And you're like, how can this be?  The psychologists say, all those red Cadillacs were around before you bought yours, but when you get a red Cadillac, then suddenly you notice the other ones that are around, because your mind is more receptive to -- all the red Cadillacs, or whatever....

That happened to me with Silver Springs.

On the "Classic Albums:  Rumours" tape, Stevie Nicks talks about how she wrote the song, "Silver Springs" . . . I find that I always enjoy listening to her talk about -- well, whatever she's talking about.  She's very "down-to-earth," as they say, and relatable -- after I listened to her speak about the song "Silver Springs" then Silver Springs started showing up everyplace. ...

in the February / March 2013 issue of (this is funny) "A-A-R-P Magazine" (holy Toledo, that magazine's terrific; they make everything seem so cool and fun and inspiring, you read it and go, "Man I can't wait to be old - !") there's an article about loving your job.  It says,

[excerpt]------- Here's a typical workday for Amy Reingold, 56, and Marilyn "Maz" Rauber, 59.  They sit side by side at a long wooden desk in Rauber's light-filled 14th-floor apartment in Silver Spring, Maryland, dreaming up story lines for Capital Girls, a series of young-adult novels published by St. Martin's Griffin.  Rauber types the scenes on her laptop; then they print them out, cut them into strips, re-order and paste them back together, and presto:  a 70,000-word manuscript is born.  Their first book came out in August, under the pseudonym Ella Monroe. ...--------- [end excerpt]

It's Silver Spring, Maryland (singular) -- in the song Stevie Nicks penned for Fleetwood Mac, it morphs into "Silver Springs" (plural). . . either way, it's all good....

Stevie Nicks says she got the idea for the song -- the inspiration -- when she and Lindsey Buckingham were driving, in Maryland, and there was a big sign above the freeway that said, "Silver Springs, Maryland," as she remembers it ... she says, "And I loved the name. ...Silver Springs sounded like a pretty fabulous place, to me. ..."

And I loved listening to her tell that -- how the song (big and encompassing) grew out of a moment (small, and brief) of noticing something which, in her imagination, was Lovable, and "Fabulous."

"Silver Spring" leaped at me last weekend, from the pages of Hunter Thompson's Fear And Loathing:  On The Campaign Trail '72.  In the chapter titled, "January" under a drawing of an eagle, is this paragraph:

---- [excerpt]------- And so much for all that, too.  There was at least one more thing I wanted to get into here, before trying to wind this down and get into something human.  Like sleep, or that 550 watt Humm Box they have up there in the Ree-Lax Parlor at Silver Spring.  Some people say they should outlaw the Humm Box, but I disagree.  Meanwhile... --------------- [end excerpt]

"Humm Box"?  Yeah...ehrm -- don't ask me ...
perhaps that's a concept mired in a moment in 1972 and Forgotten By History...

But there it was again -- Silver Spring (give or take another "s" at the end.)...

and someone I work with lived in Silver Spring, Maryland.

Online Free Encyclopedia says, "As an unincorporated area, Silver Spring's boundaries are not officially defined."  (Ooh, ethereal...)  "Census Bureau defines Silver Spring as a census-designated place with a total area of 7.92 square miles, all land; however, it does contain numerous creeks and small lakes."

It's by Washington, D.C.

Online Encyclopedia says, "The definitions used by the
Silver Spring Urban Planning District,
the United States Postal Service,
the Greater Silver Spring Chamber of Commerce,
etc.,
are all different [??!?],

each defining it for its own purposes."

=============== Now, that is ethereal. ...

You could be my silver spring.
Blue green -- colors flashing.

I would be your only dream,
Your shining autumn,
ocean crashing

And did you say she was pretty?
And did you say that she loves you?
Baby I don't want to know.

I'll begin not to love you,
Turn around,
see me running.

I said I loved you years ago,
I tell myself,
You never loved me, no.

And did you say she was pretty?
And did you say that she loves you?
Baby I don't want to know.

Oh, no.

And can you tell me was it worth it?
Really I don't want to know.

Time casts its spell on you,
But you won't forget me.

I know I could have loved you,
But you would not let me.

Time casts its spell on you,
but you won't forget me.

I know I could have loved you,
But you would not let me.

I'll follow you down
'Til the sound of my voice
Will haunt you.

You'll never get away
From the sound
Of the woman that loves you.

...the sound
of the woman that loves you....

You could be my silver spring.
blue green colors flashing.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment