Tuesday, January 28, 2014

a very rough group of fellas


RACINE APARTMENT HOUSE.

Sunshine; a dog woofs in the distance.

At his door, Ned notices it's ajar.

Inside are his friends, police detective Oscar Grace (J.A. Preston) and Lowenstein.

RACINE:  Hi guys.  Just come on in, make yourself at home.

GRACE:  Sorry about that.
LOWENSTEIN:  Not me.  The door was unlocked, inviting illegal entry.  It's behavior like that
(sounding like a VERY CONCERNED public service announcement)
makes Oscar's job so hard.

RACINE:  Sorry Oscar.  You guys want a beer?
LOWENSTEIN:  No thanks, I already had one.

GRACE:  Ned, how did you get involved with this Matty Walker?
-- What do you mean?
-- I mean she's poison!  Tell me what you know about her old man's death.
-- What I read in the paper.  He died in the fire.  Looks like arson.

LOWENSTEIN:  Was arson.
RACINE:  Okay, was arson.  You don't know if he was setting it and messed up...or if that's just what someone wanted it to look like.  His people owned the place or something...?

GRACE:  That's right.  A very rough group of fellows, too.  It's possible they wanted to cut old Edmund out.  This doesn't seem like a very neat way to handle something like that.

LOWENSTEIN:  No it's not their style.  They're very smooth.  They'd rather destroy you than kill you.  And they hate publicity.

GRACE:  Me, I'm more interested in the grieving widow.

LOWENSTEIN (with a laugh) Her sister in law's got plenty of ideas along that line too.  She could barely contain herself today, I noticed that.  But she wants to wait and see how Matty treats her on the estate. Doesn't want to blow it.

Oscar Grace asks Ned Racine,
What do you think?

Ned doesn't answer.

OSCAR
'Bout the wife??

NED
I suppose it's possible.  I don't know much about her --
(smiles)
Except what I've seen.
(a beat)
Wouldn't shock me, either way.

LOWENSTEIN:  I've got a feeling she's very bad news.  Take some incredibly intelligent advice and stay away from her.

OSCAR:  He's right, for once.

NED:  Well I'm sorry, guys, but I just -- can't do that.

OSCAR:  Why not?

NED:  First of all, did you get a look at her?
...
The fact is, she invited me out there tonight....

LOWENSTEIN:  (as if to a recalcitrant teen) --Ned.
Someday your [desires] are going to lead you into a very big hassle.  That lady may have just killed her husband...!

Ned shrugs.  "She's not gonna inherit anything by killing  me. ..."

---------------------------------------
=========================
{Body Heat, written by Lawrence Kasdan}

^^^^^^^^^  When Ned first comes into his apartment, in this scene, he goes over to the refrigerator (an old one with the door rounded at the top corners) -- and it seems to be in the -- living room.  (Bachelor's place.)  Ned opens the fridge, leans in toward the cool, and removes his shirt.  Then he tosses the shirt to Oscar Grace, and Detective Grace, leaving no break in the questions-and-conversation, grabs the shirt mid-air, and swings his arm back, letting the shirt fly, not looking back, or caring, where it lands.  It's pretty funny.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment