Wednesday, January 1, 2014

knowledge is power


After the moments with Mrs. Singer in attorney Ned Racine's office, Body Heat's next three scenes take place --
1.  at the Walkers' boat house
2.  in the Walkers' bedroom
3.  in Stella's Coffee Shop.

=========

1.  At the boat house, at first all the audience sees is the boat house itself. 

NED:
I like this place.  It's got a nice feel.

=============

2.  INT.  MASTER BATHROOM - NIGHT

Ned Racine -- taking containers out of the medicine cabinet, sniffing them, and putting them back.  The cabinet doors are mirrored and elegant.

INT.  MATTY'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

RACINE
What are you doing?

MATTY
I've got to wash these.

RACINE
You're afraid of your maid?

MATTY
That's right.  My mother told me, "knowledge is power."

RACINE
This is an interesting interpretation.  Is that why you've started smoking my brand?

Matty stands up with an armload of sheets.

MATTY
No one must know, Ned.  Promise me.  No one.

He gives a barely perceptible nod....

==================

(Oscar Grace, who is introduced in this Scene, is portrayed by actor J.A. Preston.)

3.  INT.  STELLA'S COFFEE SHOP - DAY

Same courthouse / cop crowd as before.  Racine finishes a sandwich at a table as Lowenstein sits down with two tall glasses of iced tea.

RACINE
You look terrible.  Don't you sleep?

LOWENSTEIN
I had a dream last night that was so boring it woke me up.  I was afraid to go back to sleep.  Where the hell have you been?

RACINE
What do you mean, I've been around.

LOWENSTEIN
I've barely seen you for a month.  Wait a minute -- it's some new girl, isn't it?  What's wrong with me.

Racine dismisses this with a gesture.

LOWENSTEIN
'Mon, you've never been shy about this stuff before.

At this moment, DETECTIVE OSCAR GRACE comes in.  A plainclothes cop in shirt sleeves, his jacket in his hand.  As he passes Racine on his way to the third seat at the table he squeezes Racine's shoulders with his huge hands, by way of greeting.

RACINE
OS - car....

GRACE
Hey you weren't at the Y last week -- we lost.

LOWENSTEIN
(about Racine)
He's getting discreet.  I can't believe it.

Stella comes over.

GRACE
Whatcha got in pie today, Stella?

STELLA
(glancing behind her)
Cherry, cherry... and cherry.

GRACE
What do you recommend?

STELLA
I like the cherry.

GRACE
Bring it on.  And a gigantic Coca-Cola.

LOWENSTEIN
I'm really disappointed in you Racine.  I've been living vicariously off you for years.  If you shut up on me now, I'll just have my wife.

RACINE
There's nothing to tell.  I lead a lonely life.

GRACE
Right.  And it's gonna snow later today --

LOWENSTEIN
...And people are basically decent..
(looking around the restaurant)
Must be someone I know.  Let's see -- maybe someone in uniform...

RACINE
Come on.

LOWENSTEIN
...no Army personnel around.  Waitress...Could it be...

Stella arrives with Grace's order.

LOWENSTEIN
I know, I know -- you finally got to Glenda.

Across the restaurant, GLENDA, a Meter Maid, is talking with some other women.

LOWENSTEIN
How was it?  Did she let you into the no-parking zone?

STELLA
I happen to know Glenda is seriously involved with a narc from Palm Beach.

RACINE
(smiling his innocence)
There you are.

LOWENSTEIN
A narc from Palm Beach--what is that, his hobby?

RACINE
How's the cop business, Oscar?

GRACE
Real good.  Always starts hoppin' in weather like this.  When it gets hot, people try to kill each other.

STELLA
It's true.  I could tell you some people who'll be dead if we don't get a break soon.

She leaves.  The three men exchange amused looks.

GRACE
We've got more of everything bad since the wave started.  It's the crisis atmosphere.  People dress different, feel different, sweat more, wake up cranky, and never recover.  Look at Lowenstein.
(a flash of smile)
Everything is just a little askew.  Pretty soon people think the old rules aren't in effect.  Start to break them.  Figure nobody'll care, 'cause it's emergency time...time out.

He takes a big bite of pie.

LOWENSTEIN
Oscar, I just can't understand how you could be doing advanced theoretical thinking like that and still be stuck in our little town.

GRACE
(good-humored)
Lowenstein dreams of bigger things!...

LOWENSTEIN
Assistant County Prosecutor isn't the end for me, fellows.

RACINE
Hell no, someday -- Deputy County Prosecutor. ...

---------------------
{Body Heat screenplay, written-Lawrence Kasdan}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment