Wednesday, January 29, 2014

you must believe one thing


[Body Heat -- next scene] is at the Walker house, INT.

Ned and Matty together, she confesses to him:

...Mary Ann and I left Wheaton together and went to Chicago.  We didn't know what we were doing.  I got into bad trouble with drugs.  Speed.  Real bad.  I did things -- worse than you can imagine.  I thought I would die.  I prayed I would.

And then a man helped me.  He got me clean.  He didn't want much in return, either.  He was a lawyer, he put me to work in his office.  I learned a lot there.  That's where I picked up the business about making a will invalid.  It happened to him!

[[...thought I'd bring the will up here, maybe get lucky with a judge who didn't know estate law quite so well, maybe find one with the same kind of training as Mr. Racine...]]

I swear I never would have used that, if I'd known about your case.  I was afraid to tell you, I knew you wouldn't let me do it.  I'm greedy, like you said.  I wanted us to have it all.

[She looks deeply into his face.]

I don't blame you.  For thinking I'm bad.  I am!  I know it!  I'd understand if you cut me off right now.  If you never trusted me again, you'd probably be smart.  But you must believe one thing.  I love you.  I love you and I need you.  And I want to be with you forever.

RACINE:  They already think you're involved.
-- I don't care.
-- Great.
-- There's nothing we can do about it now.  In a little while we'll either have the money or we won't.  It's out of our hands.

They lie quietly together.

MATTY:  I fired the housekeeper.  We can stay together as long as we want.  We're all alone now.

------------------
{Body Heat - written by Lawrence Kasdan}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment