Friday, July 18, 2014

now THAT'S a tight budget



Three days ago I typed in here an excerpt from a book that said in 1954 Bobby Kennedy's starting salary at the Justice Department was $5,334.57 per year, so he asked his wife Ethel to find a house they could rent for $500 a month.


When I typed that in, I was thinking of words and ideas, not math.


Hold the phone...


500 a month is $6,000 a year, which is more than his entire annual salary, just for rent!  LOL.  I -- eehhrhm -- missed that one when it was coming at me.


Plus it says "salary," not "take-home pay" so his actual take-home pay after income tax and social security were taken out, was probably around $4,000 per year, or, $333.33 per month.


How you take $333 each month, and pay 500 of it to your landlord, I am sure I don't know.


(We English-major Shakespeare-heads may take three days to do this math, but by God we catch up - !)


----------------------------------





Bobby Kennedy brought his dog along, when invited to dinner.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment