Friday, November 28, 2014

who is sure?



Congressman Charlie Wilson stares at the Scotch bottle for a moment, then says to CIA agent Gust Avrakotos, "Is there a camera in here?"


Avrakotos -- "No, that's a little paranoid.


Wilson -- "That's right.  Will you take the bug off my Scotch bottle now?"


-- Sure.


Wilson -- I saw two kids, had their hands blown off when they tried to pick up something shiny.


-- Sometimes the kids think those bombs are toys.


-- For children to pick up.


-- Yeah.


[Wilson mentions, in a sad, shocked tone, other human rights abuses that are going on in the war zone.]


Avrakotos replies in a terse, flat tone, "It's as bad as it can be."


Wilson -- But they still want to go out and fight the -- Red Army.  Each and every one of them.  I've never seen anything like that.


Gust -- No, me neither.  Let's be clear.  I want to kill Russians as much as you do.


Wilson -- Is the Oerlikon the right gun?  Is that what they should have?


Gust -- Now, you know what?  You've had a long flight.  You're under a lot of stress.  You're under arrest.


Wilson -- I ain't under arrest.  Do you drink?


-- Oh God yes.


-- Well, should we try this Scotch, or is it gonna release sarin gas when I open it?


-- I don't think so, but open it over there.





Wilson -- How'd a guy like you get into the Agency?
-- What, you mean a street guy?
-- You ain't James bond.
-- And you ain't Thomas Jefferson, so let's call it even.


-- Deal.


Gust -- Since there's no other reason I should be here, let's assume it's 'cause I'm very good at this.


-- They need to shoot down the helicopters, Gus.





(Wilson - continued) -- They need at least, what, fifty Oerlikons!


-- Yeah, it's gonna cost a lot more than 10 million dollars.


-- And I say for the fourth time, I can raise the money!


Gust -- Yeah, how?


--Is the Oerlikon the gun I should be recommending?


-- I'm not sure.
-- Who is sure?
-- A weapons guy named Mike Vickers.  I'll call him.


-- Yeah.  Let's call him right now.


----------------------
{Charlie Wilson's War.  Mike Nichols.  Aaron Sorkin.  2007.  Book by George Crile.}


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment