Tuesday, December 1, 2015

baby better come back maybe next week



What is it about 1965?  It's like everything happened in that year.


The Rolling Stones' classic song, "Satisfaction" came out.









In March, Columbia Records released Bringing It All Back Home





("Subterranean Homesick Blues" - "Maggie's Farm" - "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream" - "Mr. Tambourine Man" - "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"...)


In August, Dylan





recorded the song, "Desolation Row" for his 6th album, Highway 61 Revisited.


"Mustang Sally" -- to be recorded by Wilson Pickett





the following year, written in 1965 by Mack Rice (from Clarksdale, Mississippi - is every  musician except for Beethoven from that town??!) ...


It's like "lightning in a bottle" --





everything that was happening, going on, or taking off seemed to boil over, in 1965 (if I may hopelessly "mix" several Metaphors...)


I used to sometimes think, "Why couldn't I have been alive in 1965?!" because I felt like I missed a lot of things -- but I was alive then, only was too young to know anything that was exploding or boiling or whatever....or -- I knew some, but could not see clearly or understand...At earlier times in my life I've had this amorphous, nascent frustration of, "I MISS EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"


And


"WHY DO I MISS EVERYTHING?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"




I can't get no satisfaction,
I can't get no satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no, I can't get no


When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio
He's tellin' me more and more about some useless information
Supposed to fire my imagination





I can't get no, oh, no, no no - hey hey hey
That's what I say


I can't get no --
satisfaction


I can't get no --
satisfaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no,
I can't get no


When I'm watchin' my TV,
and a man comes on and tell me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarettes as me


I can't get no,
oh, no no no,
hey hey hey
That's what I say
I can't get no satisfaction,
I can't get girl reaction
'Cause I try and I try and I try and I try
I can't get no,
I can't get me no --


When I'm ridin' round the world
And I'm doin' this and I'm signin' that
And I'm tryin' to make some girl, who tells me
Baby, better come back maybe next week
Can't you see I'm on a losing streak
I can't get no --
oh, no no no --
Hey hey hey!


That's what I say
I can't get no -- I can't get no --
I can't get no - satisfaction.
No satisfaction
No satisfaction, no satisfaction ...


--------------------------- [excerpt, Keith Richards' autobiography, Life] ----------------- A peculiarity of "Satisfaction" is that it's a hell of a song to play on stage.  For years and years we never played it, or very rarely, until maybe the past ten or fifteen years.





Couldn't get the sound right, it didn't feel right, it just sounded weedy.  It took the band a long time to figure out how to play "Satisfaction" on stage.  What made us like it was when Otis Redding





covered it.  With that and Aretha Franklin's version,





which Jerry Wexler produced, we heard what we'd tried to write in the first place.  We liked it and started playing it because the very best of soul music was singing our song.


________________________________


{Life - Keith Richards - Back Bay Books - 2010}
{"Satisfaction," writers:  Richards, Keith / Jagger, Mick.  Album:  Out of Our Heads.  1965.  Producers:  Andrew Loog Oldham.  Labels:  London; Decca.  1965}





-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment