Tuesday, December 22, 2015

delightful, delicious, de-lovely



When Jacqueline Kennedy was working on the White House renovation project, she would not have the word "redecorate" used, calling it "a word I hate," and stating, "This is a question of scholarship."













-----------------------------





I had contemplated doing some "scholarship" of my own this past weekend -- thought might rearrange some furniture in living / dining room, then lost momentum on the idea.


Then I woke up Monday morning with my brain confounded by the oddest dream -- I'd dreamed I was beginning as an interior decorator.  I think, in the dream, I was in Boston, and was having business cards printed up, and planning personal calls on potential clients.














Honestly, I thought, I must be nuts.  I have never aimed at being an interior decorator.  (Cannot even get motivated to change my furniture arrangement, lol) 


Why should I dream such a thing?  Maybe only because I'd been thinking about the furniture, and "the balance" of the room....Dreams are crazy.





(Daphne du Maurier's famous novel Rebecca begins with the lyrical, rhythmic, mysteriously dramatic sentence,


"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again."


My lyrical, rhythmic, mysteriously dramatic and romantic novel must begin:


"Sunday night I dreamt I'd gone into the interior decorating business.  Again."


What, that doesn't have the same "ring" to it?...)


--------------------------- Imagine.  Interior decorating (space design?) as a grown-up job.  A person would walk around talking about "form and function," etc.


I actually get kind of intimidated by the mere idea of interior decorating.  Maybe I should just think of it as Organizing Things.  Then it might seem more do-able.



Cole Porter's library


----------- Part of the reason I get intimidated is because I'll look at photographs of rooms "done" by decorators and there will be things I don't like, and then I think, "Well they're the experts and it cost a lot of money, so I must be wrong." 


I'm actually less intimidated even by Art than I am by interior design.  And am somewhat intimidated by Art, but then I overcome any insecurity if I really like something, I'm able to say (both inside and out loud), "I LIKE that!"








And, really, Art should be, by reason, more intimidating than interior design because Art is a real thing, while interior decorating is a business.  But somehow, I feel more confident and less scared in the realm of paintings or whatever.


------------------------------------


New Cat has a unique habit (practice?) of placing socks, a small crocheted-bookmark, once a shirt, and most recently two winter scarves, in a line on the carpet.  Like a trail.  I was thinking of it as "trail-making" -- then after the interior-decorating dream, it occurred to me that maybe she is trying to "decorate."


I never see her do it.


I come home from work and find a "trail" she has made, or I wake up in the morning and find a new trail of things.  So -- it is kind of mysterious.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment