Tuesday, August 8, 2017

when I walk along some railroad track and find



headlines
Today's Paper


~  Government Report Finds Drastic Impact of Climate Change on U.S.




~  Defendants Kept in the Dark About Evidence, Until It's Too Late




~  Graphic:  New York's Subways Are Not Just Delayed.  Some Trains Don't Run at All.




~  Trump Likes When C.I.A. Chief Gets Political, but Officers Are Wary




~  North Korea Rails Against New Sanctions.  Whether They Will Work Is Unclear.




~  Wells Fargo, Awash In Scandal, Faces Violations Over Car Insurance Refunds




dispatch from Central Europe
   Cleaving to the Medieval, Journeymen Ply Their Trades in Europe




[added later, on Tuesday] --


~  Glen Campbell, Whose Hit Songs Bridged Country and Pop, Dies at 81


[The New York Times]
_________________________________





Climate Change story -- online, you can read the article, & it contains a place where you can click on "open document" and read the draft of the report....3 Reader Comments:


Southwest
---------- So here is a perfect example of a Trump administration "leak".  Dedicated public servants who are trying to save this country from catastrophe can only get the truth out to the public by circumventing the administration.  That is not leaking, it is whistle blowing.




JO
Colorado
------- Many thanks to the New York Times for getting this report to the public, thwarting whatever suppression may (or may not -- it doesn't actually matter) have been planned on the 19th Green in Bedminster (or wherever).  Value of the free press, demonstrated in concrete terms.  Bravo NYT (and your brethren at WaPo and elsewhere)!




Matt
NYC
---------- No telling what Trump will do, but one thing bears some consideration on this topic.


That report does not belong to Trump.  It is our property.  It is not a national security matter, it does not concern classified material; none of the usual excuses. 


It is a scientific report created by the government using public funds. 


Willful ignorance cannot be our national policy on this issue.


__________________________


------------------------


3 Reader Comments / Glen Campbell




Anthony
Belmont, Massachusetts
----------- His rendition of Jimmy Webb's Wichita Lineman is one of the great, great American songs.  Fondly remembered.




KAP
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
----------- "And I need you more than want you,
And I want you for all time"


Lyrics so beautiful, I almost wish I never heard them.




jpope
Santa Cruz, California
------------ He was a great artist and gave us some timeless songs.








performing with Stevie Wonder







in the movie "True Grit"




It's knowing that your door is always open
And your path is free to walk
That makes me tend to leave my sleeping bag
Rolled up and stashed behind your couch
And it's knowing I'm not shackled
By forgotten words and bonds
And the ink stains that are dried upon some line




That keeps you in the backroads
By the rivers of my memory
That keeps you ever gentle on my mind




It's not clinging to the rocks and ivy
Planted on their columns now that bind me
Or something that somebody said
Because they thought we fit together walking
It's just knowing that the world will not be cursing
Or forgiving when I walk along some railroad track and find


That you're moving on the backroads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind




Though the wheat fields and the clothes lines
And the junkyards and the highways come between us
And some other woman's cryin' to her mother
'Cause she turned and I was gone
I still might run in silence, tears of joy might stain my face


And the summer sun might burn me 'til I'm blind


But not to where I cannot see
You walkin' on the backroads
By the rivers flowing gentle on my mind




I dip my cup of soup back from a gurglin'
Cracklin' caldron in some train yard
My beard a roughening coal pile,
And a dirty hat pulled low across my face
Through cupped hands 'round the tin can
I pretend to hold you to my breast and find


That you're waiting from the backroads
By the rivers of my memories
Ever smilin'
Ever gentle on my mind


-------------------


{"Gentle On My Mind" - written by John Hartford}


~~  some other Glen Campbell songs to type in on You Tube:
"Wichita Lineman"
"Galveston"
"By The Time I Get To Phoenix"
"Rhinestone Cowboy"
"Country Boy (You Got Your Feet in L.A.)"
"Bonaparte's Retreat"


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment