Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Fleetwood Mac was a blues band




     The statement, "Fleetwood Mac was a blues band" is imprinted on my brain because several times throughout my life, someone nearby has taken it upon themselves to make sure I was educated to that point.

     I don't know if it was in college, or later, or much more recently, or all of the above.




     I would have maybe mentioned Fleetwood Mac, or was listening to it, or commenting -- "I love that song!" ("Gold Dust Woman" - "Never Going Back Again"...) and someone made that statement to me, to make sure I had an understanding that the band Fleetwood Mac didn't just pop from nowhere in 1975, "starring" Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.




     (I suppose the people who urged this information into my consciousness were concerned that I might be mistakenly thinking that this band had only just come into being in the last couple of years...  [Did they think I was some kind of airhead? ...  Possible...]  "Play Rhiannon again!  Turn it up!)


     "Fleetwood Mac was a blues band.
     (pause)
     "From England."

__________________________________

     Recently I set an informal goal of learning all about Fleetwood Mac, in the early years, pre-Nicks / Buckingham, and also the albums they made after Rumours, which have received short-shrift of my attention.

     Right after formulating this goal, I read that Mick Fleetwood has put together a book about the earliest years of the band, and it's a real nice book, with many photographs etc.


     This news seemed to dovetail nicely with my current interest, so I couldn't wait to buy it and dig in -- until I found out it costs 325 English "pounds" -- I Google that, and find out that's 466 American "dollars."  By the time you would pay sales tax and shipping & handling, that would be 500 dollars for this book.


     I found myself very ticked off and frustrated with this.  Mr. Fleetwood -- considering he's a musician, he's a little "tone deaf" to modern life, if he thinks that is a price which working humans can afford.





     Maybe he only cares about selling the book to his billionaireonepercentrockstarfriends.  Which does not include me.  So -- thanks for nothing, Mick.

     I was immensely disappointed.  Grrrrrrrrrr...

     I wrote a friend:  I wish I didn't know about this book -- LOL.  If I only had not read about it, then I would not be so appalled and annoyed.

     Time machine!  Turn back time, so that I don't read about the book!

     (And I'm not typing in the title of the book here, because I'm not giving it any free advertising.  There, that'll fix 'em....)


     But I started thinking about the fact that I have Wi-fi Internet now (and the Information Superhighway, to boot!), and so I thought of researching for myself about early Fleetwood Mac albums and performances and history, etc.


     ... (Fleetwood Mac was a blues band.  [Did you know that?...])

-------------------------------------------

LIST OF STUDIO ALBUMS BY FLEETWOOD MAC, BEFORE "STEVIE AND LINDSEY" JOINED IN 1974:

Fleetwood Mac
(also known as Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac)
   February 24, 1968


Mr. Wonderful
   August 23, 1968


Then Play On
   September 19, 1969


Kiln House
   September 18, 1970


Future Games
   September 3, 1971


Bare Trees
   March 1972



Penguin
   March 1973


Mystery to Me
   October 15, 1973


Heroes Are Hard to Find
   September 13, 1974



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment