Thursday, April 26, 2018

got those old sticker-shock blues




     I learn, by reading an article, that Mick Fleetwood is publishing a whole book about the early years of Fleetwood Mac in England, right at the time when I've become interested in researching this band, so I'm all happy, right?  Can't wait to buy the book -- I'm, like, as happy as Jacqueline (Bouvier) Kennedy would have been, to get her hands on a new book about ballet!  All excited, and then I find out the Fleetwood book is approx. 500 dollars.

     ?? !!  ??  !!

     What izz -- zamatterwideezpeople??!!

     I was so annoyed.


     Like -- everyone makes decisions about whether to buy something that they really want, but it turns out to be expensive.

     Everyone goes through those mental gymnastics -- can I afford it?  Is it an appropriate and smart purchase, out of my current income?  Can I justify the purchase?  How much do I really want the object?


     If the Fleetwood Mac book was priced $40 - $60, I would have bought it without hesitation.  Enthusiasm and excitement would replace any financial-based decision-making.  (I don't normally or often buy a book in that price range -- most books I want cost less than $40...)  

But this sounded so terrific, and it answered an immediate interest that I was excited about, so -- 40 to 60 dollars -- would not have been debated long in my brain.


     If the book was $100, I would have considered its purchase (somewhat) carefully -- (but all the while, knowing I was going to buy it!)

     If the book was priced at $200, I would have thought about it longer, and really seriously looked at both sides of the question of whether I should spend that much money on a book.  Then I would have probably decided to buy it.


     If the book was priced at $300, I would have thought about it even longer, and really really seriously looked at both sides of the question of whether I should spend that much money on a book.  Then I would have probably decided not to buy it.  
     But I wouldn't have been upset about it, because I would have felt like I had a real choice, and this time, even though I want the book, I made a choice which I know fits better financially with my income.  I don't think I would have been upset...


     But four hundred and sixty-six dollars for one book -- THAT  sh-t was just pissing me OFF. ...

__________________________________



don't go to Germany in 1969


     Last night on You Tube, I listened to some music of early Fleetwood Mac -- and then there was a video that was maybe 45 or 50 minutes long, about F-Mac and Peter Green.  Sort of a mini-documentary.


     It was discussing, basically -- What Happened to Peter Green.  When the band was touring in the late sixties or early 70s, they went to Germany and Peter Green, one of the band's founding members, sort of got in with some group of people -- a cult or something, and he was basically never the same again, and never in Fleetwood Mac again.

     It was -- spooky -- really, the way they told it -- like, a group of people from this -- group, or commune, or cult, or whatever it was, met the band at the airport, and they sort of ignored the other band members and kind of drew Peter Green away with them.

     They ended up at some party at a large mansion, with weird scenes going on.  Drugs...  I don't know...  I have to watch it again.


     At one point Mick Fleetwood said of the group of Germans, "They were intellectuals..."


---------------------------- (How would he know they were "intellectuals" -- and what does that even mean? ... Oh! - don't tell me they were carrying books with them...?!  OMG, did they bring some books that -- COST FOUR HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SIX DOLLARS, Mick Fleetwood?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah, yeah, scary, isn't it??)

[Fade to black; disappointed and outraged grumbling heard in background...]


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment