Thursday, June 13, 2019

"Bob Dylan, She Wrote"




     I find it really interesting sometimes to notice and appreciate how people express thoughts in English when it's not their first language.

     It's like you get a different perspective.





     Watching "Murder, She Wrote" on You Tube, there are Comments -- read this one:


Usman Shafqat
I am into Murder She Wrote and Columbo series now a days from Pakistan .. Thanks fr uploading .. What a time that was .. Fabulous acting, strong expressions, captivating stories .. They don't mk such stuff anymore now


     That resonated with me.  I felt for a few moments like I was a Pakistani citizen watching American TV mystery episodes on You Tube and commenting, carefully and enthusiastically, using my classroom English. ...



__________________________________

     I went on Netflix yesterday and started scrolling gently, slowly.  Netflix apparently reads our minds to find out what we might like to see.

I recently watched Under The Influence, a documentary with Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) discussing blues music.



Yesterday Netflix placed in front of my eyes Rolling Thunder Revue.


I gasped.

Bob Dylan.

     1975 concert tour that I didn't even know about until after it had happened.  When I was in college I bought a book about that tour, and went through it many times.  It was an over-sized paperback, with good quality paper and many photographs.



     The tour I never saw.  And now I can see some film of some parts of it, in this Martin Scorsese documentary.  (Martin Scorsese has been popping into my life and consciousness with Bob Dylan stuff, starting in 1978 -- The Last Waltz, No Direction Home... A sort of surreal parallelism...)





     The Guardian-UK ran a review of Rolling Thunder Revue.  BTL -- "below the line" -- Readers Commented, ranging from this particular film to All Things Dylan...  One of his less well-known albums, John Wesley Harding, was touched on in discussion:


kandaharkenny
John Wesley Harding, always feel it's overlooked, up there with his best stuff, stripped back sound, pared back lyrics.  Outstanding


Drust
Yep, my favourite Dylan album, not a duff song on it; sounds like it was recorded with one mic in a toilet but that doesn't matter to me.


dylan37
It's a remarkable record, like many of Bob's.  Recorded quickly, 18 months after Blonde on Blonde, but couldn't sound more different.  Songs of biblical allegory,  mystery and deceit.  No choruses.  Strangers and outlaws from the shadows of that old weird America, and an almost off-kilter unsettling sound.  Wonderful.


_________________________________

---------- [Chronicles, Bob Dylan] ------- ...Being there and seeing him [Mike Seeger] up close, something hit me.  It's not as if he just played everything well, he played these songs as good as it was possible to play them. ... The thought occurred to me that maybe I'd have to write my own folk songs, ones that Mike didn't know.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment