Monday, June 17, 2019

I saw a 21st-Century movie




June 17th.
The Watergate break-in was 47 years ago today.

_________________________________




     I began this Monday by getting a surprising surprise:  I watched a movie made in 2019 that I had never seen before, and I loved it.

     Now, that is weird.

     Or maybe should say, "unusual."


Murder Mystery,
on Netflix.

     Netflix is an interesting and exciting and scary phenomenon.  They are kind of creating a New World, so to speak.  An Alternative World -- an Extra World.





     As the movie progressed this morning, I thought, "Oh my gosh, this is like a soufflé with aspects of 'Murder, She Wrote' and 'Get Smart' and Agatha Christie blended and whisked to a riveting peak!"

     Reading a review of it in The Guardian online, I saw that they had noted influences borrowed from Game Night (2018 movie), Manhattan Murder Mystery (1994 Woody Allen movie, recently script-streamed here), and Clue (classic board game and 1985 film).






     Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston play the lead roles.


     Adam Sandler seems to be a person who just keeps making more movies and isn't open to freaking out over what critics say about his work.
     I don't know about his other movies, because I haven't seen them except for one in the mid-nineties and I can't remember it -- but Murder Mystery is good.




     Even the title:  not giving it individual identity, just saying to the audience -- "This is a murder mystery.  Murder.  Mystery.  Murder Mystery..."
     Kind of like it's to pay homage to all great murder mysteries that came before it.




-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment