Wednesday, June 12, 2019

"Noir, She Wrote"




     Speaking about film noir recently -- and then watching a bunch of "Murder, She Wrote" episodes ... there was one MSW episode where I recognized the influence of three different film noirs! -- The Postman Always Rings Twice; Mildred Pierce; and another one, can't remember off top of my head...


     It had to be so much fun making that show!  I mean, I realize working in TV, music, and movies is "work" -- a "job" like any other where you have to be there and do your best, etc.  (Brad Pitt has said people ask him what is the hardest part of being an actor -- and he answers, like any other job -- getting up in the morning...)

     However -- making those murder she wrote episodes had to be FUN.  (I'm sorry, I'm not retreating from that position.)  




They got so many actors -- great actors, interesting actors, actors from Hollywood's Golden Age -- to guest star on that show.  They could incorporate noir influences, classic 1930s gangster picture influences -- hard-boiled detective movie inspirations -- remember Harry McGraw, portrayed by Jerry Orbach?






     Man, I thought those episodes were fun.


     I could imagine how lovely it was for some actors and actresses (we're supposed to call them all "actors" now, but I'm not used to that, yet) to come out of semi-retirement and work with Angela Lansbury.

     One episode was an homage to Arsenic and Old Lace.


     (Could I write something like "Murder, She Wrote"?  I wondered.)

_____________________________________

     The sheer number of episodes with thunderstorms in them -- and always at night.  That's to create, or reinforce, atmosphere.  And I find lately the word and concept, "atmosphere" keeps coming into my mind at various moments.




     A reviewer of one of Beyonce's albums highlighted the atmosphere of the song collection; Reader Comments about Tarantino movies said The Hateful Eight had a very atmospheric soundtrack; AMC states that Laura (1944) is one of the most "moody" film noirs ever made -- for me, moody is another word for atmosphere, or ambience...


     Turning the idea over in my mind that atmosphere is maybe an important part of stories I want to tell.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment