Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Moscow Mitch


     After Robert Mueller warned Congress that Russia is continuing to interfere in our election process, some bills were proposed to safeguard our elections and Senator Mitch McConnell would not allow them to be introduced.

     I thought, "How can he not want to protect our election process from Russian interference?  That just sounds incredibly strange.  Maybe there's some angle that I don't see."



     Then Senator McConnell appeared onscreen (I think it was last Friday) saying, in a sort of singsong, low-key whine:  "This is a partisan bill" -- and that was it.

     I thought, That sounds like what's meant by the word "mendacity."  



But I thought, 'Am I the only one who thinks this sounds weirdly unexplainable...?'
     Like -- who's not in favor of fair elections controlled by America, not by a hostile foreign power? - Hello???!!!

     And then this week it all sort of broke out -- people calling him "Moscow Mitch," 



accusing him of treason.  And then he was on Senate floor this week, complaining on his own behalf -- "I've been called a traitor."

     And I thought, "Well -- don't BE one..."

     Someone tweeted today -- if he doesn't want to "be called a traitor, then he should stop being one."

    (OK -- that's what I was thinking, but I thought since no one else was saying it I must be wrong...)

     It's like that episode of "Friends" where they're at the beach and Phoebe sneaks into Teri Garr's house -- Garr catches her -- "What are you doing?!"

Phoebe:  "I didn't want to make any noise!"

Teri Garr:  "Then don't break in!" 



     And then apparently this week Sen. McConnell (aka Moscow Mitch) grumbled that Democrats were doing "modern day McCarthyism" on him.

     That someone of his age and in his position seems not to know what McCarthyism was, is baffling.  (Could he be having cognitive issues...?)

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment