Monday, August 5, 2019

I'm due back on Planet Earth





     I want to write a Woody Allen movie, even though I am not Woody Allen.  (Is that possible?)


     I was pondering what Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell was doing to us last week, refusing to protect American elections from foreign interference and then complaining that people were calling him a traitor, or -- "Moscow Mitch."




     That is a tactic that I don't know the name of:  you do something bad, or fail to do what you're supposed to do, and then when someone says you did it (or didn't) you complain that they said that.  (Is there a name for this?  I don't know...)


     It would be like if I sneaked over to our department manager's house in the dark of night and stole her bicycle.  And then she told people at work, "She stole my bicycle."  

     And then I went around to the work people and said, sort of aghast, "She's been going around saying that I stole her bicycle!  Can you imagine?"  And -- if people shook their heads solemnly and rejoined, "Well, that's just awful of her to say that!"...



     On You Tube there are a whole bunch of videos about Narcissistic Abuse, where they describe the "gaslighting" the narcissist does on his (or her) targets:  it would be like in my hypothetical situation where I said, "She's saying I stole her bike!" -- as if she were wrong for saying it; or in the real life situation where Moscow Mitch says, "They're calling me a traitor!" when in reality he is being traitorous by purposely failing to -- refusing to -- protect American elections from foreign interference.

-------------------------------- The narcissist who's running his scam does what they call "flip the script" -- they do wrong and then try to make it sound like the person to whom they did the wrong -- did wrong.
     Maybe Senator McConnell is attempting to flip the script.




     When I read that McConnell blocked legislation to safeguard our elections, I thought he was doing it so that Russia could interfere some more and get more Republicans elected, and also re-elect Trump.  Then I heard someone say McConnell was blocking the legislation because if he supported it, he was afraid Trump would see McConnell as taking the position that Trump's 2016 election was indeed not legitimate.

     I had not thought of that.  Either way, safeguarding our elections would seem to be a "no-brainer," as they say.


     Is this all a horror movie, or a Woody Allen madcap comedy?





-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment