Monday, August 12, 2019

world gone beat





     Last week I typed in here, to listen to the Creedence Clearwater Revival recording of "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" -- I  misspelled the band, I put "Credence" -- It's "Creedence."

     Another caveat -- on You Tube, there are some videos of that song that are 3 minutes long.  I was not referring to those, I was referring to the 11-minute "extended jam" ones.



     What a great song, no matter who sings it, even raisins, but CCR brought their own swamp-rock thing to it, and I didn't even know about that version until 1990 when I bought a CD of their Greatest Hits and it was on there.

     I can't believe such an outstanding recording can be "lost" somehow, but there was so much exciting music coming out -- all the time -- in the 1960s and '70s, you could miss some of it -- it just depended on what radio stations you had available to listen to, and what they played, etc.  It was catch-as-catch-can.  



TV performances here and there -- if you were home to see them ... and you could buy records, of course, but you didn't necessarily know what to look for, or where....

     It was like being lost in a jungle-desert-city of Sound where you felt like you were fortunate to hear some wonderful music, but you also had the uneasy feeling that you might be missing some things...  like -- you didn't have a "handle on" the whole phenomenon....



     Many artists and bands almost had their own whole genre --

Bob Dylan songs
Rolling Stones songs
Grateful Dead songs



Creedence Clearwater Revival songs...

     It's like -- whole worlds to be discovered and listened to.




-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment