Friday, March 13, 2020

it's going to rain -- do you have enough canned goods in the house?


Harry:  When the s**t comes down, I'm going to be ready.  That's all I'm saying.

Sally:  And meanwhile, you're going to ruin your whole life waiting for it.

~ When Harry Met Sally...
------------------------------

     Some people seem to be "stocking up" on some things, in case they have to stay home for a while or get quarantined.

     The New York Times had an article a few days ago, titled, "Stocking Your Pantry, the Smart Way," written by Melissa Clark.


some Reader Comments

Martin
Budapest
------------ Finally, those trophy kitchens in the states will get some use besides heating up chicken nuggets.  I know I'll take flak for this comment, but really the most amazing kitchens I have ever seen during my many decades in the states was in homes where the family seldom did any real cooking.

Nycgal
New York
--------------------- Also what wimps we are if we can't handle a couple of weeks quarantine without the cornucopia of food items from the grocery store.  I think of my grandparents during the depression.  They got by on very very little for much longer than two weeks.

Joel Geier
Oregon
-------------- Yesterday I visited our home-brewing supply store to buy barley malt, hops, and a German bock/lager yeast culture.  The store owner laughed when I told him I was "prepping."  

But if we get quarantined, I have enough to brew 15 gallons -- that's twenty 6-packs of 16-oz bottles -- of very good quality German-style dark bock.  $60 worth of ingredients yields $200 worth of craft-quality beer at retail prices, so it's also a bargain.  

Even enough to share with our neighbors.  The county two miles north of us had their first reported case today, so this was none too soon.



Sarah
Smith
----------- My pantry is stocked with good silver tequila, Cointreau, salt, and limes.

Image result for watercolor paintings of kitchen pantries

Barbara
Sequim, Washington
-------------------- Our neighbor stockpiled, in anticipation of the Y2K apocalypse.  She passed away in 1999.  Her cases of dried and canned foods went in a garage sale, and what wasn't sold went to the food bank.

Lari
----------------- When this is over or has died down, people are going to be donating a lot of this stuff to food drives.

Jorge Uoxinton
Brooklyn
---------------- If everyone stocks up food soon there will be a shortage.  Let us not panic.  One- or two-week stock is O.K. but no more.  Pleeeeese.


Austin Liberal
Texas
------------------- ...I'd understand concern about vital supplies; I've stocked up on those, packed pounds and pounds of ground beef into meal-size portions, filled the freezer.  But toilet paper???


Val
Vancouver
-------------- Yes disappearing toilet paper - phenomenon happening in Canada too.  I loved the pantry article - perfect advice in an imperfect time.  I love those meals that pull from my pantry, refrigerator and freezer.  Keep cooking America!


tom harrison
seattle
------------------- Here in Seattle I have had no problem finding anything except hand sanitizer (which I don't use anyway).  

One store put a 5-per-household limit on things like rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide but again, I had no problem with those either.  I will know things are serious here when the shelves of coffee disappear.  

No problem with that either.  

Coffee was on sale and I went with the unroasted raw Ethiopian coffee beans at $3.37 per pound.  


I have lettuce, basil, and other herbs growing in the closets.



Mary
Washington
------------------- Buy an Instant Pot, head to the dry good bins, and stock up on rices, beans, lentils, cornmeal, whole oats, faro, wheat berries...  The pot will turn them into simple, perfectly cooked meals with no watching the pot.  It will change what you eat forever at half the cost of canned food.


Gerald
Portland
---------------- This article is only marginally helpful and at times leans more toward a cooking show (or dinner party as another person commented):  I just love spices!  I just can't cook without lemons!  Don't forget that cream cheese!

Mari
Florida
------------------- Would Slivowitz work as a disinfectant?  A Czech relative gave it to us a dozen years ago.  Can't take a sip without gagging.  Been meaning to get rid of it.......


Frank
New Jersey
--------------- One size does not fit all, we are all adults and we know what we should keep in our own pantry.


Image result for watercolor paintings of kitchen pantries


Alex
Chicago
-------------- This article makes me laugh just a little - if Melissa Clark ever stopped by my kitchen, she'd be appalled.  There's nothing in there except celery sticks and walnuts.  It's full-on bachelor realness.


dtm
Alaska
----------------- Shaking my head.  I'm a bit of a food hoarder, but this is getting ridiculous.  It's as if people are preparing for the zombie apocalypse.  My two cents worth:  frozen Brussels sprouts and blueberries.  I have enough food and water to last for a couple of months.  

If need be, I can melt snow for water.  

And there are always the neighborhood moose if things get truly desperate.  Which they won't.  P.S. Don't forget prescription meds.


CS
Midwest
-------------- Rice and beans, a variety of legumes, frozen veggies, and a wide variety of spices and sauces.  And peanut butter, yes a legume, because we're not barbarians.  It may get repetitive but it will suffice.  Oh yeah, dark chocolate because, well, if I need to explain you'll never understand.


Joyceling
California
---------------- Where is the story about WHY you need a full pantry?  I would like to see a story about the likelihood of the supply chain being disrupted.

Sandy
Bay Area
------------ You forgot ice cream!

Cheryl
Houston
-------------- The idea, I believe, is that (a) even if we are mildly sick, we should stay home to avoid spreading it to people more vulnerable than we are and (b) we may be asked to self-quarantine, whether or not we are sick, to slow the spread, to help ensure that the very sick have access to medical care, like the entire country of Italy is doing.


Margaret
NYC
-------------- I live in a small apartment and don't have much of a freezer.  I have several pounds of meat but can't stock many frozen vegetables and fruits.  I bought jars of applesauce, canned tomatoes, bottled red peppers, bottled lemon juice, and dried fruit.  

I looked into dried vegetables--spinach, cabbage-- but knowing I'd never eat any of it if I didn't need to made me reluctant to spend the money, so I bought canned vegetable soup, which may not be much better but feels more familiar.


R Mandl
Canoga Park, California
------------ Let's get together with the ammo in the basement guy - sounds like a party!


Malcolm Kelly
Washington, D.C.
-------------- Just did "the big shop" yesterday.  Forgot passata, went back for that.  Handy to have are some decent curry mixes and chili mixes to liven things up.  Pork chops in the freezer along with some chicken breasts.  

Honey and apple cider vinegar to make sweet and sour pork or chicken pan sheet dinners, apple slices on top to make automatic apple sauce.  Herbs are awake in the herb garden in my yard, they add a lot to many dishes.  Beer and wine, for cooking and drinking.



Flaneuse
DC
--------------- Write the purchase date on everything with a sharpie - then, first in, first out.


Marie Rama
Athens, New York
--------------------- I love this article by Melissa Clark!  I'd also recommend my favorite pasta sauces by Hudson Green.  They make a 6 vegetable Meatless Bolognese and a dairy-free Velvet Vodka.  

Both are great on pasta and can be combined with beans or rice or lentils and other whole grains for quick, nutritious, plant-based meals in minutes.  

Preparing your own food is another way to secure the safety of yourself and your family until this virus leaves us.


M
socal
---------------- @tom harrison It would be lovely to understand more about growing vegetables in closets.  Do you have a timed light?  Are you growing hydroponically?


M
San Antonio
------------ Don't forget the weed!

John
Chicago
------------ This is counter-productive and not helpful at all.  We need for people to remain calm and go about their lives, not raid grocery stores. ... Wash your hands, avoid Wuhan province and go about your life.  

What will hurt us more than anything is crashing stock markets, mass-cancellations of events, classes etc., closures of vital businesses and total import restrictions (and articles like this).



Wi-Jess
Midwest
--------------- Unfortunately, I can't stock anything I might binge on before the crisis hits - chips, ice cream, Oreos, peanut butter cups, etc.  Unless my husband can hide it from me until it's needed.


Nycgal
New York
-------------- Bread in the freezer, canned soup or stock, pasta, rice, canned tomatoes, frozen vegs and fruit.  Frozen oj.  Processed cheese for grilled cheese.  Yogurt.  Powdered milk if you dare.  Snacks!  Lots of snacks.  Just shop like it's 1960.


Working mom
San Diego
---------------- Flour, lard or Crisco, salt and water.  Flour tortillas for weeks.  Beans.  Rice.  I could live on that for a long time.

BGZ123
Princeton, New Jersey
--------------- Please don't forget the directions to the grocery store.  Put one foot in front of the other if you're walking; buckle up for safety if you're riding. - You're welcome.

Image result for watercolor paintings iron curtain countries


Stanislav
Europe
-------------------- @Andy my whole country survived 40 years of bolshevism beyond iron curtain pretty much on pickled stuff, one winter at a time.  

Pickled sour cucumber (whole, small variety that does not turn soft) is an evergreen, so is sour cabbage.  Also meat can be pickled, my mom did pickled pork quite often, because we did not have large fridge.  

She'd top the jar with layer of fat, to keep it sealed I guess, or maybe the fat just floated there..Dunno, will have to ask her.  Anyhow, it tastes great, I never liked frozen meat because of that!


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment