Tuesday, February 22, 2022

a new noir every night

 

Carole Landis in Behind Green Lights


Under "Film Noir" on You Tube, another movie that shows up:

Behind Green Lights

1946

        In an early scene, we're inside a police station and the Camera moves from one group of people to another, each is dealing with some problem or other.  In about the second interaction we see, a policeman is speaking to an African American man who's wearing suit and tie plus fedora hat -- like most of the other men in the movie.


policeman:

"Your wife can't 'steal' your car -- that's community property!"

citizen:

"Yeah, I know Chief -- but she done took it out of the community!"


I burst out laughing.  (Is this a funny noir?)  That "out of the community" actor (Nick Stewart) was beautiful:  he got every bit of value from his one line -- great!


As I listened to this movie I realized I could watch it again, and listen more carefully and specifically, and write down great lines and turns of phrase:  it's full of them.  There are two other movies that I have always thought a person could do this with:

Out of the Past   (1947)

and

Sweet Smell of Success   (1957).


In Behind Green Lights I noticed the phrases:

"giving him the business"

and

"laying it on thick."


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment