Wednesday, February 16, 2022

here, in the future

 

Campbell's Soup, Edition II

1969

Andy Warhol


When I listen to You Tube channels, I hear the speaker remind the audience, "When you look at someone's social media, you're seeing a 'highlight reel.'  You shouldn't compare your actual day to someone else's high points and victorious joyful moments," etc.


Social media and the Internet have provided an interesting possible embodiment of the artist Andy Warhol's insouciant prediction that "In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes."


I have heard a You Tuber say,

"I'm famous."

"I'm a celebrity."

"I'm a millionaire."


        Everyone, indeed.

It's an interesting topic to contemplate.


        When I was in grade school or junior high, my dad talked about the word "celebrity."  Holding up a magazine, he said, in a faintly incredulous tone, "It means the person is -- famous -- for -- being famous!"


That is what it meant back then, but common usage has evolved and now, from what I can observe, people mostly call anyone who is famous or well-known, "a celebrity."

Lady Gaga - celebrity

President Biden - celebrity

Kanye West - celebrity.


In the earlier usage, we would have called Kim Kardashian a celebrity, but Bob Dylan would be called a famous musical artist, or rock-and-roll star.  (Or -- folksinger, or songwriter, or just "Dylan.")  He would not be referred to as a "celebrity" because he is famous (or known) for doing something, not just for existing and having photographs taken.


The other thing about social media is, it might not just be a "highlight reel," in some cases it might be a whole different representation of the self or thoughts or events that might not line up with objective reality very well.

        I remember when an acquaintance told me he was flabbergasted when he looked at the Facebook page of someone he knew -- he said to me, "I checked it two or three times to make sure it was hers!"  He said, "I was shocked!  It's like she's crazy."

        I said impulsively, "Well -- but only on Facebook."  I don't even know why I said that -- I didn't know what I was talking about, I just didn't want him to feel bad, and he seemed so shocked and disappointed.  (I'm like that Beatles song, "Hey Jude" -- I always want to "make it better"...)


But then when I thought about it later, I realized people can be one way in real life and put a different image on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media forms, right?  (Maybe this is why the younger generation has the term "irl" = "in real life.")


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment