Monday, February 14, 2022

"I said, move over once! Move over twice!"

 


The Beatles

I was imagining what it would be like to have a turntable and some vinyl records.  I had those things many years ago, in childhood and teen and college years.
        Then in the 1980s when CDs (compact discs) came in, further music collecting was done via that technology.

CDs are good:  they don't skip as easily if there's a step, or vibration; there's no pick up the needle, set down the needle -- you just put the disc in, press button to close and press play.  It's cleaner and less risky, in a way.

With a needle and turntable you always had to be careful.  Come to think of it, I like CDs!  They work for me, for my purposes.  I just want to play the album, I just want the music.


One thing I miss, having CDs instead of record albums is -- liner notes.  No room for it on CD packaging, unless they made the print too small to read.

        The inverse is true, I think, on the actual compact disc vs. vinyl -- they can fit more songs on a CD.  Like when Fleetwood Mac's Rumours album came out in 1976 there wasn't enough room on it for another song Stevie Nicks had, called "Silver Springs."  But when that album was reissued on CD in 2004, it had "Silver Springs" on it.  Because they can fit more on. ...


My idea of a turntable now is not a rangy big set of equipment fit to fill a nightclub with dance music.  I would just want a record player with the speakers right in it.  I'm into simplicity and compactness.  (Which is why I should maybe stay with CDs, I don't know....)

If I did get a turntable, I would begin with only three record albums:  one by The Beatles, one by Bob Dylan, and one by the Rolling Stones.  And then see if the sound given by vinyl records makes a difference to me.  And if I like using the "classic" record-playing equipment.
------------------------------------------

On You Tube (or m.youtube)
type in

The Beatles, one after 909

and after standing up, PLAY.

(One has to be on their feet, because one will want to dance.  [We don't want to be caught unawares and lose any dance time.])

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment