Tuesday, April 19, 2022

fun is elusive like a moonbeam

 




"Do anything, but let it produce joy."

~ Walt Whitman

--------------------------------------------

        That Mary Tyler Moore Show episode described here yesterday:  only in the past few days did it dawn on me that an occurrence in my real life was kind of like that episode.

        Instead of in a bar, it was outdoors at a street dance in a tiny little prairie town.  This state politician was playing records (it was 1990) and some people had danced, but not a lot were dancing.  And kind of in the middle of the event he spoke into the microphone and firmly, seriously commanded the people to get up and dance.

        I thought it was pretty funny at the time.  I had seen that Mary Tyler Moore Show episode in 1973 when it first aired, but I did not recall it right then, in 1990, and make the connection.  

        I can connect it now, though!


You Tube serves to refresh memories and collapse time -- or -- rearrange time so we can revisit events and perceptions.  Internet Time Travel.


That record-spinning politician had come to the radio station I worked at a few years prior to that street dance.  We did an interview live on the air -- I had questions all ready and organized.  

        I remember afterwards he said to me, "I have always wanted to do what you do:  play records and be a D.J."  Later when I heard he was going to play records at the street dance, I thought, "He got his wish!  He gets to play records for the people.  This will be fun."


When he was playing the records, however, he seemed kind of over-serious, or even depressive.  And then grouchy, when he told the audience they had to get up and dance.


Lou Grant:  "Sit down and sing along!"

midwestern state politician:  "Get up and dance!"

both of them:  "Have fun, dammit!"


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment