Friday, April 29, 2022

you keep on telling me

 

John DeLorean's car


On Netflix now:

a documentary about John Wayne Gacy

a documentary about John DeLorean

a documentary about death of Marilyn Monroe

Taxi Driver (Scorsese)


The DeLorean story and the Gacy story are both crazy, in different ways.


During the Gacy doc, a juror said that when they were picking the jury one of the questions asked was, 'Would you have a problem with finding someone guilty if you knew they could get the death penalty?'

        The realization came to me abruptly when I heard that:  if I were the potential juror being questioned, I would have to answer "yes."  I don't think about the death penalty very much but if I do think about it -- yeah, it is barbaric and probably un-Christian.  Hugh Hefner said it's used disproportionately against people who are non-rich.


A two-tiered justice system is wrong; a two-tiered justice system is what we have right now; and I would not support it by voting to "torch" random idiots who did horrible things.  Lock them up so they can't do any more bad things.


I agree with Hugh Hefner.

(Now, there's a sentence I don't say every day.)

__________________________________


Gaslit is a streaming series on an app called Starz.  It's about Martha Mitchell, the wife of John Mitchell, who was attorney general in Nixon administration, & the Watergate break-in and cover-up.

        (I remember her name being in the news, and she had things to say, and people were trying to silence her.)


I can't watch it -- don't have Starz or Hulu or whatever it is... a streaming platform?  An app?  An ear-flapping elephant?  What - ever....


The Washington Post had a review of Gaslit:  a reader comment said, "This review fails because it tells me zero about the mini-series ...and is mostly just disjointed whining."

        This observation is similar to something I find myself thinking frequently these days, when I read reviews:  Complaining about the movie is not the same as reviewing it.


Another reader comment said --

"I was 8 when Nixon was elected, so I don't have the same perspectives, but I think it's good to remind folks that we have been struggling with anti-democratic forces for decades.  In fact, maybe that's what it is, an eternal struggle."


It's like -- in recent days News has reported Elon Musk wants to buy Twitter, and some people suggest that he wants to own that company so that he can take over the world, or America, or something.


Twitter is not the world.  (Besides, I thought the Kardashians owned twitter...)


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment