Friday, October 28, 2022

Clint Eastwood every night

 



The Bridges of Madison County is on Netflix, so I had that on the other night, and then last night rented Play Misty for Me from Amazon Prime Video.

Madison County - 1995

Play Misty - 1971


Both movies star Clint Eastwood, and were directed by him, too.


Play Misty for Me is a juggernaut of a film essay about personal boundaries and what can really be going on if someone is messing with them.  Holy cow.  Crazy stuff in this movie.  Wonderful music, and beautiful photography and scenery...the ocean....


I had barely heard of this movie when I was working at a radio station, doing the morning show.  A friend called me at work one day -- I was in the control room, and the call was transferred in -- I answered and his voice came through the line:  "Play Misty for me."


I didn't understand the reference.  He explained -- that movie with Clint Eastwood where he's a radio disc jockey and the listener calls in and asks him to "play Misty for me."  

        Once I had the info, I thought it was a good joke.



In the movie Clint's character Dave plays "smooth" music -- jazz.  Another DJ at the station promises his listeners "a bowl of soul."


Jump scares and all, it's a beautiful film, with some terrific music.  1971 zeitgeist on-the-money.  (Or should I say, right on?)  An actress named Clarice Taylor is in it -- I saw that name in the opening credits and thought, Isn't that the lady who played Cliff Huxtable's mother in The Cosby Show?

        Yes, yes.

___________________________________


The Bridges of Madison County is also a beautiful-looking movie:  scenery, lovely landscape and moods.  It's a gentle story, told with sensitivity, realism, and spirit.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment