Tuesday, October 4, 2022

walking Central Park, singin' after dark

 

a photograph by George Hurrell



------------- [excerpt from Jerry Hall:  My life in pictures] ---------------------


Morocco


We felt so free.  


We stayed in hotels where the rooms were full of sweet-scented bowls of roses and lit by candles, and we sat by the open fire while Mick played his guitar and sang to me.  I loved the way Mick didn't complain and he laughed at all the mad things that kept happening....


I was still phoning Bryan and telling him that I was on a modelling job.  Finally he said, 'stop lying, I read about you and Mick in Morocco in the papers'.  I guess the fashion team must have spilled the beans.  Bryan said, 'just come home and we'll talk about it'.  

        But I couldn't, I knew he was not the forgiving type and I was already too much in love with Mick.  Bryan and I talked and cried for hours.  I felt really bad for breaking off our engagement and running off the way I did.  It never occurred to me to complain about the affair he had had in Japan.


        Bryan took me leaving him very badly.  He kept all my clothes and things and wouldn't let me have any of them back.  I had left a book by the bed called The Mists of Avalon, about druids.  Bryan wrote a beautiful album called Avalon that was a huge success.  But he never spoke to me again....


*               *               *               *


George Hurrell


George Hurrell was almost 80 when we worked together.  He had been a great Hollywood photographer who took pictures of almost every star over several decades.  His striking black-and-white images were everywhere.  He had retired in the seventies, but still worked when a project interested him.  So I was flattered to be asked to pose for him for a series of photos in French Vogue.


        George was extraordinary.  He would style the picture, getting every fold perfect and then take one photograph with a big old-fashioned plate camera.  Then he would say 'thank you' and help you down from the set.  In one day he took 16 pages of photos -- I had never seen that done before.  


While I was working with George and doing the Paris collections, Mick was shooting a film in the Amazon.  When he wrote me the most wonderful love letter saying he was missing me, I knew I had to go and see him. -------------------------- [end / excerpt]


♪ ♫ ♪  a song to listen to:

on You Tube

Miss You (remastered)

uploader / channel:  The Rolling Stones


~                  ~                  ~                  ~


...Well, I've been haunted in my sleep

You've been starrin' in my dreams

Lord, I miss you, child

I've been waitin' in the hall

Been waitin' on your call

Your phone rings

It's just some friends of mine that say

"Hey, what's the matter with you, man?...


Ooh ooh OOH ooh oo-oo-ooh

Ooh ooh OOH ooh oo-oo-ooh...

____________________________________

{"Miss You" - written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.  Single release May 1978.  B-side:  "Far Away Eyes".  Album:  Some Girls.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment