Thursday, February 16, 2023

"don't look at me, I'm with That Girl!"

 


Now, I know this is going to sound like a pick-up.



My father always said, if some young man approaches you in New York and says, 'This is gonna sound like a pick-up,' that's what it'll be.  And you did, and it does, so it is.  Bye.



Wait!  You don't really think I'm trying to pick you up, do you?



Well, aren't you?



Yes -- but not the way you mean.



How about the way my father means?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Typical style of dialogue from the 1960s situation-comedy That Girl.  Every week, when the show came on, it didn't start with the intro theme music, it began with the first scene.  The scene would end with someone saying, "that girl" and the camera would zoom in on the face of the main character -- aspiring actress "Ann Marie," portrayed by Marlo Thomas.


For example:


INT.  Police station.  Night.


Now look, I don't know why I'm back here.  Like I told you before, we was only playing for matchsticks.


They don't count as matchsticks when you can cash 'em in for a hundred bucks.


Sergeant, money don't mean nothin' to me.  It was just a friendly neighborhood game.


In a garage?  Why don't you just make a statement, Joey?


I ain't doin' nothin' 'til I talk to my lawyer.


All right.  You can talk to him.  After we finish booking him, Tom.  All right, Yorkie -- who's next?


[A policeman standing by points to the holding cell where Ann Marie is waiting, behind bars.]


Over there, Sergeant.  That girl.

-----------------------------------------------


And then the opening theme music plays.


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment