Friday, February 10, 2023

"may I thank you a - gane"

 



On You Tube, video titled:

JACKIE KENNEDY'S "THANK YOU" MESSAGE TO THE WORLD  (JANUARY 1964)

uploader / channel:  David Von Pein's JFK Channel


(text of the speech)

I want to take this opportunity to express my appreciation for the hundreds of thousands of messages, nearly 800,000 in all, which my children and I have received over the past few weeks.


        The knowledge of the affection in which my husband was held by all of you has sustained me, and the warmth of these tributes is something I shall never forget.  Whenever I can bear to, I will read them.


        All his bright light gone from the world.  All of you who have written to me know how much we all loved him, and that he returned that love, in full measure.


        It is my greatest wish that all of these letters be acknowledged.  They will be, but it will take a long time to do so, but I know you will understand.

Each and every message is to be treasured -- not only for my children, but so that future generations will know how much our country and people in other nations thought of him.


Your letters will be placed with his papers in the library to be erected in his memory, along the Charles River in Boston, Massachusetts.

        I hope that in years to come, many of you and your children will be able to visit the Kennedy Library.  It will be, we hope, not only a memorial to President Kennedy, but a living center of study of the times in which he lived, and a center for young people and for scholars, from all over the world.


May I thank you again, on behalf of my children and of the president's family, for the comfort that your letters have brought to us all.

Thank you.

_______________________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment