Wednesday, April 19, 2023

every time I look at you

 

Belasco Theatre on Broadway in New York City

Oscar Levant


"Every time I look at you I get a fierce desire to be lonesome."

~ Oscar Levant

The title of yesterday's That Girl episode,

"Stop the Presses, I Want to Get Off"

is a take-off on two expressions:


one is "Stop the presses!" which people used to say in the newspaper business, and the other is

"Stop the world, I want to get off!"

...I used to hear that one when I was a little kid, but have not heard it in a long time.  I think it meant -- things are too chaotic, or tough, or something -- I must escape! -- sort of... -- oh, wait a minute wait a minute, "Stop the World -- I Want to Get Off" was not an expression, it was the title of a musical play, 1961.  

Book, music, and lyrics written by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley.  [Wikipedia]


        According to Oscar Levant, the play's title was derived from a graffito.


(Never heard "graffito" before -- the singular of graffiti.)


I've heard the name Oscar Levant, but who is that?

[Wikipedia] -- Oscar Levant was an American concert pianist, composer, conductor, author, radio game show panelist, television talk show host, comedian, and actor. --------------------- [end / Wik. excerpt]


Well -- that guy didn't have -- enough -- careers...


1906 - 1972


And now, in 2023, there's a play about Oscar Levant titled Good Night, Oscar.  It will begin its run at New York City's Belasco Theater on April 24th -- next Monday.

        Steven Spielberg is one of the financial backers of the play.

        The actor who will play Oscar Levant onstage is Sean Hayes, whom you might remember from the situation-comedy Will & Grace.


(The Internet! -- one thing leads to another...)

____________________________


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment