Friday, April 21, 2023

great - glorious - giddy

 

painting of the Trump Tower Clock in New York City, by Mawra Tahreem


------------- [excerpt from Disloyal:  A Memoir, by Michael Cohen.  Copyright 2020, Skyhorse Publishing] -----------------


...I had a taste for public speaking and the spotlight, especially with the admiring gaze of Donald Trump looking up at me.

        Then it came:  the applause.

        "What a great speech," said Trump, offering the praise that I was quickly learning had an aphrodisiacal impact on me.  "Man, you are a great speaker."

        Still worked up, I sat and took my printed speech from my breast pocket, autographed it and handed it to Trump with a flourish.  'Here, Mr. Trump, now you will remember me forever," I said.

        "I will," Trump said, pocketing the speech.  "I will."


        A few days later, I received a package containing my speech, now in a gilt gold frame, with a note from Trump in his usual dense handwriting on the page saying, "You are a great speaker and a great friend.  Donald."


        After the excitement, days and weeks passed quietly as the renovations on Trump Park Avenue continued and I wondered if I'd ever again have the chance to work for Mr. Trump.  Then, one day, Trump's longtime assistant and occasional The Apprentice co-star Rhona Graff called asking if I had time to talk to Trump.  I did--of course I did.  I could think of nothing better than talking to Trump, helping Trump, pleasing Trump.

        "Michael, my man, did you get my gift?" Trump boomed on the speakerphone a second later.

        "I did," I replied, thanking him profusely for such a thoughtful gesture.

        We congratulated each other and ourselves on our glorious victory, the mutual reinforcement serving as a way for our newly forming bond to strengthen.

        "Listen, I need you to handle another issue for me," Trump said.  "Actually, it's cleaning up a mistake Don made.  Are you free to stop by today, at around noon, say?"


        "For you, I will make myself available," I replied, again giddy at this further indication of Trump's belief in me, inviting thoughts of where this might eventually lead for someone who'd occupied the role of fan and onlooker to Trump, but was now on the way to becoming an advocate and intimate.

        "Donald Trump just called me again for another project," I called out proudly to my younger brother, Bryan, also an attorney with an office next door, as I pulled on my jacket.

        "Very nice," Bryan replied, sardonically.  "But maybe this time see if he intends on paying you for your time."

-------------------------------------------------

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment