Monday, April 10, 2023

so if you ever meet the midnight rambler

 

1977



2020



news


The two elected representatives in the Tennessee state legislature who were expelled last week by Republicans were --

Justin Jones

Justin Pearson.

        (And here I thought all the guys in that generation were named Dylan...)


        In Memphis, the Shelby County Board of Commissioners is set to consider sending Mr. Pearson back to the legislature on Wednesday.

        Today, local officials in Nashville voted unanimously to appoint Mr. Jones back to his seat in the state House of Representatives.

_________________________________


In Newport News, Virginia, the mother of the six-year-old who shot his teacher is going to be charged.

-------------------- [end of news]


________________________

___________________


-------------------- Why is that city named "Newport News"?  I don't get it.  It isn't a newspaper, it's a whole town.

        A Google search of this question shows that the Newport part of the name is for a 17th-century ship captain but, according to The Virginian-Pilot online, "the origin of the 'News' part of the city's name is a mystery."

__________________________


on Amazon Prime now:

The Family    (2013 - De Niro, a dark comedy)

Something Wild    (1986 - Ray Liotta)

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel    (a series - it's good!)


on Netflix

The Sting    (only until April 30)

American Hustle    (about the ABSCAM FBI "sting")

Charlie Wilson's War    (true story, if you haven't seen this, watch it for sure!)

Murder Mystery 2    (Aniston - Sandler)

Play Misty for Me    (scary)


books

Disloyal

    by Michael Cohen

Revenge

    by Michael Cohen


-------------------- [excerpt from Disloyal, Skyhorse Publishing, copyright 2020]


Chapter One

The Apprentice


Donald Trump's seduction began the way it would continue for years, with flattery, proximity to celebrity and power, and my own out-of-control ambitions and desires.  For me, it started on a nondescript day in the fall of 2006.  

At the time, I was a successful, if little-known, middle-aged midtown Manhattan attorney and businessman on the make, sitting in a tidy nondescript office with two of everything arranged before me on my desk, a function of my obsessive nature:  two staplers, two tape dispensers, two phones, two cups with sharpened pencils.  I was thirty-nine and I worked for the mid-sized white-shoe law firm Phillips Nizer.  


As a lawyer I'd long had a busy practice in personal injury and medical malpractice, but my real passion and talent was in dealmaking, and I had accumulated a multi-million dollar fortune in the rough-and-tumble taxi medallion industry.  

        Wealthy, with a beautiful wife and two healthy, happy young children, I had just purchased an apartment in the Trump Park Avenue building for $4.9 million and I tooled around the city in a Bentley and considered myself semi-retired.


        I had it made, in other words, but I didn't know that I was on the precipice of a mid-life crisis that would lead to an all-consuming fixation and my downfall.


        On this fall day, in 2006, sitting at my desk doing the paper-pushing drone work of practicing the law, my secretary buzzed on the intercom.


        "It's Donald Trump, Jr. on line one," she said.

----------------------------- [end / excerpt]



(me, screaming at the book:  "No!  Don't answer it!  Don't! - Don't answer it! - The call is coming from inside the house! - Aaaaaaaauuuuuuugggggghhh!!!")


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment