Thursday, May 2, 2024

...whatever 'in love' means...

 



When you watch (listen to) The Crown, you have the opportunity to contemplate what gives meaning to our lives, both as individuals, & as members of the human community.


In England, they have all these ceremonies, built on tradition and accented with pageantry.


All countries, communities, and cultures have these things, I guess:  ceremony and pageantry.  It's meant to celebrate, and emphasize, the fact that we're here, and we're trying to -  be good, and do good, and make things good, if we can.


Personally, I totally relate to the idea of trying to do good and make things good if we can - however, the pageantry and traditional ceremonies are not as much "for" me - I'm not against them for other people, they're good, but I spent my childhood sitting through things:  church; school; eeeehhhh....


Nowadays, as an older person who still feels young and reasonably energetic, I just don't want to go someplace where you have to sit until it's over.  And that's not to be critical, or mean, at all.  It's just not for me.  Been there, done that.

I didn't watch the Coronation of King Charles.  (In my imagination, bitch-slapping him for being mean to Princess Diana...)  But I read comments on the Internet from people who watched it and were really moved by the whole process - the pageantry, the music, etc.  And - more power to them, if that gives them meaning and a sense of order and organization, and "Everything is going to be OK."


In Season 3 of The Crown, there's an episode where Prince Philip is all excited about meeting the American astronauts who landed on the moon.  And when he gets to meet them, they don't have any great, overall pronouncements to give him - they're just tired, and all have colds.



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment