Thursday, May 20, 2010

fast lane

The technologies of communication are moving too fast for me.
(I feel like I'm behind & cannot catch up, yet here I am, blogging - !?!)
But seriously, it's moving too fast.
E-mail
Voice-mail
Cell phones
E-mail on the cell phones
Twittering
texting
smoke signals
aaauuugghhh!!

And the more ways there are to communicate the more problems people have communicating. One thing that is not controlled or manipulated by Technology is Human Nature.

If you e-mailed, you should have faxed.
If you sent a letter in the mail (heaven forbid) you could have phoned.
If you called on the land line, you might have used the cell phone.
If you typed it on paper, you should have spoken it aloud.
If you said it out loud, you should have texted it,
and if you texted it, you could have tweeted - !

Article in N.Y. Times said more cell phone time is used now on other stuff other than talking directly. Phones are being used -- for internet stuff, for texting, but less than 50% now is for direct conversation with another person. Those numbers changed over the last two or three years.

Even though I feel like things are changing faster than I can get my mind around it, I can relate to the use of "text-ing" instead of talking. Not because I don't enjoy conversing with someone, but because -- sometimes it's more convenient for the other person if you leave the message and they can read it when they have time. That's why I sometimes want to type up a concept that I want to share, & leave it for the person.

If I go & tell it to them,
a) I'm taking some of their time when maybe they don't have the time, or the Energy;
b) I'm insisting they pay attention now, rather than later (when maybe Later would be just fine); and
c) when you present an idea, if the person you're offering it to has any class, they probably don't want to hurt your feelings by appearing impatient with you or non-receptive to your idea, so if you face-to-face them, you're sort of putting them in a position where they HAVE TO --
1. listen, or pretend to,
2. look like they appreciate you & your idea,
3. say something positive; listen, respond --
I would feel like I was demanding a whole lot, when fact is, I began not wishing to DEMAND anything, but only Offer to Share.

So even though I don't know how to "TExt", I can see the point of it, I think.

In the early 90s on the financial channel (CNBC) they used to call the internet "the Information Superhighway." It seems quaint now. The term fell into disuse quickly, mid-90s.

However, this IS a "Superhighway" and the speed limit is apparently 5 billion miles an hour and I -- can't -- find -- my -- SSEEEAT- BEEELT !! AAAhh...!

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment