Tuesday, May 4, 2010

a scream

Plastic surgery (yuck).

This weekend, saw a show on TV about "stars' plastic surgery" -- I tell myself later, "You didn't have to watch that."

You get sucked in. Like morbid fascination. It's so weird, it's interesting.
I -- shudder on seeing and hearing about appearance-altering / modifying procedures some celebrities (both the talented and the merely famous) get done to themselves. (I sit there and think, in horror, "They pay for this? -- You couldn't pay me a million dollars to have that done to my body."

It's unbelievable -- beautiful, talented, interesting women have all this stuff -- nose changed, chin -- I don't know -- lump -- put in, breast enlarging things implanted (ewoooh!), and those pillowy, artificial, clown-lips that don't look good on Anybody (if a person doesn't have beautiful, full lips naturally then fake ones are going to be Too Big for your Face) -- that's where you realize these folks have truly lost perspective.

What really bends logic and makes my head start to feel like it's going to explode is, these people were Beautiful Already.
Beautiful Already - !!!!!! In the first place. Before the expense, the pain, the time spent recuperating, all that --

it would be like, if I were already a billionaire, had that much money and security, everything, and then I went out and got myself beaten up in a fight because somebody paid me $400 to do it. Granted, I'd have $400 that I didn't have before. But is that worth it? Does it make sense to do that?

A young lady who was in the singing group Destiny's Child -- Kelly Rowland -- according to that program, she had larger breasts put on. Or -- in.
Ick, yuck. She was perfect, and beautiful, already. Why would she select to take the risks of unnecessary surgery? AND -- she was already beautiful. Larger breasts do not necessarily mean more beautiful, more sexy. It's just conforming to someone else's look, or something.

I try to think up reasons why people would do this.
They're already a star.
They already have the money, the deal.
They're achieved their initial goals.
All they have to do now is -- a), not screw it up, and b), find the next step of Fulfillment in their life.
What're they thinking?

The only answer I could really come up with is, Conformity. It's a trend, and they're going with it.

And why do I care? I realized when I thought about my own feelings, that I have powerful belief in the beauty, worth, and interesting-ness of individuals, and therefore -- different kinds of beauty, intelligence, talents, etc. And it sort of offends me, I guess, to see people "messing with" what they have instead of celebrating it, and appreciating it, and being grateful. Consciously, I have no opinion about these things and I wouldn't want to focus on anything so silly and shallow.

But subconsciously, apparently I somehow have a belief that people should be good "custodians" of their talents, and their bodies, their faces, their minds, their beauty. (Think Bible says something about being a "good steward" of what God gives us. -- Hell-I-don't-know.)

And maybe the reason why some people become so wrapped up and obsessed with the physical, tangible aspects of beauty and sexiness is because -- those are the aspects they can control and influence.
And -- there's a segment of the medical industry Making Money from people's dissatisfaction with their bodies and commensurate elective surgeries. If somebody can make money from it, then it will become A Trend.

On that program that I watched, one of the commenting-announcers said something which I said ten years ago -- that because of the trends in cosmetic surgery, people in Hollywood are starting to all look alike. ... It's kind of like that movie, "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers"....

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment