Tuesday, May 18, 2010

a place to watch the game

"Would it be all right if my husband watched a football game at your house?"

I'm a single woman; in my entire adult life I have only been asked that question once.

The husband in that scenario is running for governor now.

I thought of that conversation which occurred some 12 - 15 years ago because over the weekend was hearing commercials for the candidate, and because last week I happened to be thinking and considering how people drift into and out of your life -- your sphere of experience.

I knew both the husband and wife only slightly -- from workplace (state capitol) when I was working as a lobbyist. Lunched with the wife once. She seemed to be a very gentle and "open" person who was enthusiastic and eager to discuss issues. I could relate.

The husband worked for the governor.

I was a little surprised when she asked if her husband could watch a ball game at my house. (As it turned out, he didn't -- but he could have.) After brief hesitation while I reconfigured thoughts in my brain, I said, "Sure." (I mean, why not?)
"Is he allergic to cats?"
"No."
"Is he afraid of cats?"
"No."

He was going to have to be out of town (his town) and in my town for something -- events, or meeting, and was going to miss the game he wanted to see. And he must have really wanted to see it, or I don't think she would have asked me that. Also, I must have been the only person she knew in the town where I live. Or -- maybe not, I don't know.

She was just trying to arrange things for her husband to not miss out on something she knew he would enjoy, and must have been important to him.

(We agreed; and then later she got back to me, and said he wouldn't need to come to my place to watch the game after all -- something had changed, schedule or something, cannot remember.)

It struck me, the affection for her husband that seemed to be exemplified in her request.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment