Tuesday, June 1, 2010

outlaws, parts I and II

Part I.
There's an old joke.
Jesse James used to rob banks.
When authorities caught him, psychiatrists wanted to counsel with him, and study what made him turn into the outlaw and master criminal he became. What caused his behavior and lack of regard for the law? What deep-seated insecurities and childhood trauma had shaped his character?

So the psychiatrist asks Jesse James, a very solemn question.
"Why -- did you -- rob -- all of those -- banks?
And the psychiatrist waits, with pen and paper in hand, to take down notes on the deep, dark influences in Jesse James' background.

And Jesse James replies,
"I robbed all those banks, because --
(pause)
...that's where the money was."

Part II.
In May 31, 2010 New York Times, an article about foreclosures in Memphis.
[quoting from the article]:
-------------------------------------------------
As the subprime market heated up...the bank pressure to move more loans -- for autos, for furniture, for houses -- edged into mania. ...
"Your manager would say, 'Let me see your cold-call list. I want you to concentrate on these ZIP codes'..."We were told, 'Oh, they [consumers in those particular neighborhoods] aren't so savvy.'"

She described tricks of the trade, several of dubious legality. She said supervisors had told employees to white out incomes on loan applications and substitute higher numbers. Agents went "fishing" for customers, mailing live checks to leads. When a homeowner deposited the check, it became a high-interest loan, with a rate of 20 to 29 percent. Then bank agents tried to talk the customer into refinancing, using the house as collateral.
------------------------------------------------------
[end quote from N.Y. Times]

In the Old West the outlaws robbed the banks.

Now, from what we read, it seems like some banks are the outlaws.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I grew up believing, or being taught -- I don't know, having an image in my mind of Respect for banks, as a sort of solemn, upstanding profession -- like doctor, lawyer, minister, teacher, whatever.

Not an "expert" but -- it just seems like Something has Changed in the last fifteen years, give or take some years -- Something Happened. On several fronts, some businesses and businesspeople seem to be so desperate for money that they resort to ways of getting it that don't seem ethical or dignified or legal. Or OK.

In my mind, and tell me if this is wrong but I don't think it is -- there is
a difference
between
Doing Business
and
Ripping People Off.

When I learned, on the job, how to be a salesperson, I learned -- Help the customer, help him solve his problems and sell his product, and your business will grow.

In other words, Do Good Work and You Will Make Money.
Now it seems like we can observe more businesses operating with a different Objective:
instead of -- Do Good work and You Will Make Money,
it's more like
Get The Money.

One day in conversation I said, "I'm in favor of people making money..."
and the man I was talking with added, "But they should make it the right way."

The right way.
??
It's overwhelming to try to figure this out.

-30-



No comments:

Post a Comment