Friday, June 11, 2010

threw me

They threw me off the hay truck about noon.
-------------------------

One of the greatest first sentences ever written.
It's the first sentence of Chapter 1 in
The Postman Always Rings Twice
a novel written by James M. Cain
Copyright 1934, Knopf, New York

(From Chapter 2):
--------------------------------------------
Los Angeles wasn't but twenty miles away, but he shined himself up like he was going to Paris, and right after lunch, he went. Soon as he was gone, I locked the front door. I picked up a plate that a guy had left, and went on back in the kitchen with it. She was there.
--------------------------------------------

That novel was banned in Boston.
("explosive mixture of violence and eroticism")
Imagine: "banned in Boston" used to be a -- well -- a, a Thing.

The author, James M. Cain, was from Baltimore.
journalist; college professor; served, World War I

also wrote Double Indemnity.

Both The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity were made into movies.

French author and Nobel Prize winner Albert Camus said "Postman" inspired him to write The Stranger.

(It always seems interesting to me when somebody writes a book because they're inspired by another book...)

"They threw me off the hay truck about noon."
-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment