Thursday, January 20, 2011

I just flew in

---------------------
Checking the You Tube upload from the Carson Show -- three segments, one Nixon, one Martin Luther King, & the third Robert Kennedy -- Dr. King says, "I flew out of Washington this afternoon..." and goes on to say the plane had "mechanical difficulties" -- [they used to call it that, and people would joke about it --
"Mechanical difficulties??!!"]

And, scrolling down, -- @PreCodeMovies had Commented in, about Rev. King's conversation with Carson:
----------Same here. Although, when he first said, "I flew out of Washington this afternoon..." I was really expecting him to finish up with, "and boy, are my arms tired!" --------------
-------------------------------
OMG -- I had not heard that in 30,000 years, and when I read it -- it's like, shifting gears emotionally because it's been so long since you thought of it, but yet it is so familiar because you heard it a lot, at one point in life...

Johnny Carson used that joke in various forms -- it was part of his style -- he'd set it up for guests to say it -- "I just flew in from Palm Springs and boy, are my arms tired!"
(Could be -- Palm Springs, or from, Anywhere)
My father loved that joke, and said it a few times.
A boy at school, in fourth grade -- "I just flew in from recess and boy are my arms tired!"
Another kid jeered, "You don't fly in from recess! You're not funny!"
but he was

-30-

1 comment:

  1. My dad uses the Boy are my arms tired line! And I always thought it was funny when he said "I'd like to buy you for what you're worth and sell you for what you think you're worth." Although it was much funnier when he was saying it to someone besides me.

    Once I stepped out of character (the good girl) and swanned into my 3rd grade class after a trip to the restroom or to get a drink of water at the fountain and announced "Thank you, thank you! Don't applaud, just throw money!"

    I have no idea what compelled me to do that. My teacher's eyes shot wide open and she laughed. Thank goodness.

    I never tried anything like that again though.

    ReplyDelete