Friday, May 13, 2011

pleased to meet you

In my last previous post here, had Rolling Stones song, "Sympathy for the Devil," and I've been wanting to write more about dictators and totalitarianism and how / why miscellaneous penny-ante crackpots such as Hitler, Mussolini, Saddam Hussein, bin Laden, and the like ever get into "Power" and manage to get a bunch of people killed on planet earth.

However, by Friday I'm generally a little too tired for dictators, so will have to work on that next week.

Meanwhile, an interesting discovery: when I look for Rolling Stones songs on You Tube I tend to gravitate toward original album cuts, or live performances from sixties and seventies -- I don't know, going back further feels like getting closer to the source, or something -- I seem to shy away from more recent performances.
But -- found this: if you're on Google, & type in "Sympathy..." song title and hit enter, two You Tube uploads are presented there -- the first one an album cut, and the second one reads, "The Rolling Stones: Sympathy for the Devil (live) HQ" -- that one is
Not from either the Sixties or the Seventies,
and it is a
Great.
Performance.
Well worth viewing.
Uploaded by "MOROCKKO2"
One of the Comments says the performance is from 2007.

I think rock stars who've lasted that long carry with them a maturity and sensibility of -- "I'm fortunate to still be around and be able to do this, and to draw this audience who want to hear my music." It isn't chaotic / casual / somewhat drugged, as performances in 60s may have sometimes been. These people are Grown-Ups. And they're giving the Best Interpretation of the Song that they can come up with, using All Their Energy and, one can imagine, serious preparation and rehearsal.

Im - pressive.
Mick Jagger "acts" a song, similar to Tina Turner.

And like -- you can go back to a 1968 or 69 performance of this song in Hyde Park -- I saw that one and -- while I'm usually a person who says, or thinks, "Ooooh I wish I was born earlier so I could have BEEN THERE!" (I've had a nagging feeling my whole life that I was missing Something by not being old enough to really Live the 60s) -- still, watching the confusion etc. during that Hyde Park concert, if I'm being honest, have to admit it may have been better that I missed THAT particular show. Some freaky behavior. Yikes.
...

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment