Friday, May 6, 2011

walk this way

Today I walked to work.
(3 miles)
A couple of people doubted I could do it.
Why would I not be able to do it?
Well, in the part of the country we live in, the lifestyle is, You get into the car and drive someplace, you do not walk someplace. That's just the way it is.

But -- today I walked to work.
Coming up the hill by the highway, under a bridge, and continuing on, I was thinking, "Why did I think this would be hard?" Like -- walking is not "hard," -- Hell-o!
It just depends on what you are in the habit of doing; how you're accustomed to doing things.

Like -- walking that distance would be hard if I had a sprained ankle or broken leg and had to use crutches. Or if you were hand-cuffed to another person -- like that movie where Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier escape from a vehicle that's transporting them to jail, or to work, or something -- and the two of them are hand-cuffed together. And they take off down the back roads of the South, like that.

That would be difficult.

I, however, have not got a broken leg; and I don't need to use crutches; nor am I handcuffed to Sidney Poitier (unfortunately).

So, I said to myself, "This is Not 'hard.' Why did I imagine that it would be?
Sometimes there are things right in front of you that you don't know.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment