Friday, May 20, 2011

you might like to dance

People on internet commenting about the "end of world" prediction -- (tomorrow?! -- I'm just like several of the other "yahoos" on NY Times Comment "thread" who are gonna hold off paying their electric bills, until Mon. ...!)

Though I'm a minister's daughter and of course grew up attending Church Every Sunday (even when on vacation), I never heard of anything called a "rapture" until recently. That wasn't part of our (UCC / Congregational) deal.

Now as an adult, I don't use my free time to be in church, I use it to write -- (I got stuff to do, man) but if I were raising children, I'd take them to church. (My cat -- not so much, he's cool; God blessed him with Ultimate Wisdom and Love as He does all of our sweet pets, I think).
On my own, I've just "boiled down" all the Religious and Church teachings to one sentence --
"Be nice; don't kill people."
-----------------------

Another Commenter in NY Times wrote this.
[quote]
A Buddhist meditation:

I am of the nature to grow old.
There is no way to escape growing old.
I am of the nature to have ill-health.
There is no way to escape having ill-health.
I am of the nature to die.
There is no way to escape death.
All that is dear to me and everyone I love
Are of the nature to change.
There is no way to escape being separated from them.
My actions are my only true belongings.
I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.
My actions are the ground on which I stand.

----------- If we can remember this every day, we can remember to be thoughtful and kind because any day can be the last with or without rapture.
[end quote]
--------------------------------
I'm no Buddhist, but that Meditation seems to me to get across the same idea: "Be nice; don't kill people."

More art, less hostility.
Make love, not war.

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment