Tuesday, February 4, 2014

any story she could tell


EXT.  OCEAN PIER - NIGHT

Finishing his evening run down the beach, Ned Racine takes out pack of cigarettes -- one for himself, one for Lowenstein.

LOWENSTEIN
You're some kind of health nut.
(Racine smiles)
Matty Walker smokes that same brand.

RACINE
Is this gonna be one of those conversations?  'Cause if it is, maybe I should have my lawyer present.

-- Buddy, your lawyer is present.

They look out at the ocean.

LOWENSTEIN
You know, that Edmund Walker was a bad guy.  The more I find out about him, the happier I am he's dead.  I figure it's a positive thing for the world.

-- You're not known for being a hardliner.

-- "Mm-I have my own standards.  I try to keep them private.  As far as I'm concerned, I don't care who killed him.  And I don't care who gets rich because of it.   But Oscar -- Oscar's not like that.

His whole life is based on

doing the right thing.

He's the only person I know like that.

Sometimes it's a real pain in the ass.

Even for him."

----------- He glances at Racine, but only for a moment.

LOWENSTEIN
Oscar's unhappy right now.  He's in pain.
-- Why is that?
-- Because he likes you.  He likes you even better than I do.  That's why he's been busting his butt trying to find this Mary Ann Simpson [one of the "witnesses" to the "new will"].  They finally found her place in Miami yesterday, but the woman herself was gone...looked like she left in a hurry.
(a beat)
Oscar thought any story she could tell might help you.  He thinks you need help.

============= Ned leans on the rail above the dark sea-water.  More tired than anyone, ever.

_____________
{Body Heat, screenplay written by Lawrence Kasdan}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment