Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I don't trust her


INT.  RACINE'S OFFICE - DAY

He has tried calling Matty; sitting at his desk, he's holding the telephone receiver, listening to repetitive ""mmrrr"-ing as it rings at the Walker residence, with no one picking up.

Phone rings at reception desk.
BEVERLY:  Ned.  It's Mrs. Walker.  Do you want her?

RACINE (with grim, defeated irony) -- "Yeah."

CAMERA P-O-V moves around the office gently, from the door, passing by shelves of big law books, coming around to Ned Racine in his chair behind the desk, smoke rising from his cigarette, the receiver held to his ear.  (This exemplifies Film Noir style.)

MATTY's voice ("filtered" -- coming over the telephone line):
Hello Ned.  Can we talk?

(He speaks like an extremely tired person in quicksand.)

RACINE:  Okay.  (pause)  Where are you?

^^ I'm in Miami....I've got the money.  I've taken it and sent it somewhere safe.  It's all ours now.  (Racine says nothing)  But that's not the best part.

RACINE
(his voice is only a low murmur, dripping with some unnamed feeling)
What's the best part?

MATTY:  The glasses.  I got them back.  That is, they should be ours by now.  Betty had them.  She wanted money.  That's why I had to come down here.  She made it all very difficult, but I think it worked out.

RACINE
(a tone of hopeful hopelessness and something else...)
Do you have them?

^^ No.  She wouldn't do that.  She's putting them in the boathouse.  In the top drawer of the dresser in the boathouse.  They should be there now, if she's kept the bargain.
^^ Yeh?
^^ I think you'd better get them right away.  I don't trust her.

----------------------
{Body Heat screenplay, written by Lawrence Kasdan}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment