Thursday, February 6, 2014

very hot number


EXT.  HIGHWAY - DAY
Ned Racine, driving the Stingray down to Miami.

INT.  Office Building - DAY
Elevator doors open, people in business attire pour out.  Ned comes out, crosses the lobby to a lounge-y type restaurant.
He sits at the bar with cigarette and drink.

A man wearing a three-piece suit glances over at Racine, several times -- finally he approaches and sits.

GLENN
We know each other, don't we?  I'm Michael Glenn.  With Bashford, Hillerman.

RACINE
(his smile fading)
Ned Racine.

It comes back to Glenn in a flash; he wishes he hadn't initiated the contact.

GLENN:  Christ, I've done it again.  
(embarrassed, indicates the entrance)
I'm just -- meeting some people.

He looks at Ned; feels like of bad.  Smiles tentatively.

GLENN:  Hey this is silly.  You're not still mad about that Gorson business?
(Racine shrugs, takes a drink, Glenn continues) -- We had to do it.  Costanza practically insisted we sue you.  Nobody at our place likes malpractice against other lawyers.

Racine flinches at the word "malpractice" and mutters tersely, "Forget it."

Glenn remembers something.  He smiles confidentially.

GLENN:  Hey, I tried to make it up to you.

Racine looks at him blankly.

GLENN:  Ever meet a lady named Matty Walker?  You'd remember her.  Very hot number.
-- NED:  Matty Walker?
-- Yeah.  I met her at a party.  She said she was going up there and she wanted to know about lawyers.  I gave her your name.
-- When was this?
-- I don't know -- long time...maybe September.

Racine stares at him.
[[ "I never would have used that if I'd known about your case."
"I don't blame you for thinking I'm bad.  I am -- I know it!"
"I love you and I need you"]]
Glenn sees the people he's waiting for, at the entrance.

GLENN:  Gotta go.
RACINE:  Did you tell her -- about Gorson?
-- Hey pal, I was trying to get you work!

He starts to move away.  Racine grabs him abruptly, roughly, and drags him back.

GLENN:  Jesus are you nuts?
-- Did you tell her -- about Gorson?
-- Maybe...I told her how we met.  Yeah-maybe...
Racine lets him go.

----------------------
{Body Heat screenplay; written by Lawrence Kasdan}

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment