Monday, September 1, 2014

you seem to have gone into a trance



-------------------------- [excerpt, Bridget Jones:  The Edge Of Reason] -------------- This morning, when we were lying around reading the papers in front of the fire, started wondering whether should bring up the Rebecca business, and why he always stays at my house.  But then Jude said I shouldn't because jealousy is v. unattractive trait to opposite sex.


"Bridget," said Mark, "you seem to have gone into a trance.  I was asking what was the meaning of the new shelving system.  Are you meditating?  Or is the shelf support system in some way Buddhist?"


"It's because of the electric wire," I said vaguely.


"What are all these books" he said, getting up and looking at them.  "How to Date Young Women:  A Guide for Men Over Thirty-five?  If the Buddha Dated Going for It by Victor Kiam?"


"They're my self-help books!" I said protectively.


"What Men WantBeyond Co-dependency with a Man Who Can't CommitLoving Your Separated Man Without Losing Your Mind?  You do realize you're building up the largest body of theoretical knowledge about the behavior of the opposite sex in the known universe.  I'm starting to feel like a laboratory animal!"


"Um . . . "

He was grinning at me.  "Are you supposed to read them in pairs?" he said, pulling a book off the shelves.  "Cover yourself both ways?  Happy to Be Single with How to Find Your Perfect Partner in Thirty DaysBuddhism Made Simple with Going for It by Victor Kiam?"


"No," I said indignantly.  "You read them individually."



"Why on earth do you buy this stuff?"


"Well, actually I have a theory about this," I began excitedly (because actually I do have a theory about it).  "If you consider other world religions such as--"


"Other world religions?  Other than what?"


Grrr.  Sometimes wish Mark was not so bloody legally trained.


"Other than self-help books."


"Yes, I thought you might be about to say that.  Bridget, self-help books are not a religion."



"But they are!  They are a new form of religion.  It's almost as if human beings are like streams of water so when an obstacle is put in their way, they bubble up and surge around it to find another path."


"Bubble up and surge around, Bridge?"


"What I mean is if the organized religion collapses then people start trying to find another set of rules.  And actually, as I was saying, if you look at self-help books they have a lot of ideas in common with other religions."


"Such as . . . ?" he said, waving his hand in an encouraging circle.


"Well, Buddhism and . . ."


"No.  Such as what ideas?"


"Well," I began, panicking slightly as unfortunately the theory is not all that well developed as yet, "positive thinking.  It says in Emotional Intelligence that optimism, that everything will turn out all right, is the most important thing.  Then, of course, there is belief in yourself, like in Emotional Confidence.  And if you look at Christianity . . ."


"Yeees . . .?"

"Well, that bit they read at weddings, it's the same:  'These three things remain:  faith, hope and love.'  Then there's living in the moment -- that's The Road Less Traveled and also Buddhist."


Mark was looking at me as if I were mad.


". . . And forgiveness:  it says in You Can Heal Your Life that holding on to resentment is bad for you and you have to forgive people."


"So what's that then?  Not Muslim, I hope.  I don't think you find much forgiveness in a faith that lops people's hands off for stealing bread buns."


Mark was shaking his head and staring at me.  It did not seem to me that he really understood the theory.  But maybe that was because Mark's spiritual soul is not very advanced, which could actually prove to be another problem in our relationship.



"'Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us'!!" I said indignantly.  Just then the phone rang.


"That'll be dating war command," said Mark.  "Or maybe the Archbishop of Canterbury!"


Was my mum. ------------------ [end excerpt]


-------------------------
{Bridget Jones:  The Edge of Reason, by Helen Fielding.  Copyright - 1999.  Picador, imprint of Macmillan, Great Britain; Viking Penguin in U.S.}


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment