Thursday, September 10, 2015

time, time, time is on my side



Another thing about free-time activities is, people can think about many more things to do in the coming-up Free-Time, than they are going to Have Time to do.


Sometimes you hear a person say, "I always wanted to..." and they finish that sentence with something where they've had time to think about doing that thing, but when the free time came, and it's so limited, the thing they've "always wanted to" do went by the wayside, and they did the thing they really most wanted to do, instead.


I believe when I was younger, I used to think it was sad if people had things in their head that they "always wanted" to do but hadn't done.  Because when you're younger, you think you want to do everything.  But now I don't think that's "sad" -- it's OK to think about things you haven't done and imagine doing them.


Some activities are actually better thought-of than done, I've found.


Reading about Jacqueline Kennedy, I came across these little descriptions, vignettes, where she drew pictures, and painted pictures.  And I thought, See, that's something I'd think about doing, but not ever quite get around to buying the paint, or the -- easel....





When my Free Time arrives, I may have been thinking about painting, but what I'll actually do, is write.


When Jackie Kennedy got her Free Time, she might have thought about writing (in her words) "the Great American Novel" but what she would really do, was paint pictures.





(Below, in the 1950s, she appears to be "supervising" while her husband the senator tries his hand at the easel.  It's in the back yard of their rented house in Georgetown.)








(Above, Mrs. Kennedy with Andre Malraux, the Mona Lisa in the background)


The picture below was painted by Mrs. Kennedy, according to the Internet...though sometimes the captions don't relate to the picture, so I would not know how to verify this; it's a nice picture, anyway...





The photograph below is of Mrs. Kennedy studying Chinese drawing in Hawaii.  1966.





---------------------------------------








"Time is the coin of your life.
It is the only coin you have, and only you can determine how it will be spent.
Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you."
 >> Carl Sandburg


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment