Thursday, December 13, 2018

"it's a facade"




     About a year or so ago, while taking a hike on You Tube, I thought I should listen to the jazz music of Dave Brubeck.  And I really had no idea why:  I didn't know why that name looked familiar to me after I listened to some other jazz-related music and "Dave Brubeck Take Five" appeared nearby on the screen.

     There's a Dave Brubeck album, Time Out, and a Take Five album, and "Take Five" the song.  When I listened to the song "Take Five" it sounded familiar, and I didn't know why.  Now, as I look at the musical pieces used in Manhattan Murder Mystery, I realize I must have recognized that tune from this movie.

     In the "Take Five" restaurant scene, the music is perfectly low, so it doesn't interfere with the dialogue.  Brubeck's notes trickle and gently splash around the conversation and the scene.


_________________________________________



INT.  Larry's office - Day

MARCIA
You know, you're the only editor in the world I'll take suggestions from, but even you shouldn't push it.

LARRY
No, I'm not pushing it.  I think the book is great.  Absolutely great.  You know, but, uh... how much, how much of Dorothy is you?  As I was reading it, I kept thinking how much is... you know, how much did you base it on your own life?



MARCIA
Well, I was a waitress.  I lived with a poet.  I was a film critic.

LARRY
Right, but not -- not a blackjack dealer, right?

MARCIA
No, but I put myself through school playing poker.

LARRY
Oh, really?  Do you still play?

MARCIA
No, but I still know how.

LARRY
Yes?  Are you good?

MARCIA
Yeah.



LARRY
Yeah, because maybe you could give me some pointers.

MARCIA
I could turn your game around in two hours.

LARRY
Could you?  That's great.  That's... you know, you-you have all these skills, and you're beautiful, and you can write so well... and now it turns out you play poker.  This is, uh, too good to be true.

MARCIA
Well, I wouldn't say beautiful.

LARRY
Oh, I would.

MARCIA
But I do have tremendous sex appeal.

LARRY
(with a light laugh in his tone)
Okay, yah sold me!  Are - are you seeing anybody?

MARCIA
No.  Don't let my confidence fool you, it's a facade.  Why do you ask?

LARRY
Because I have a friend who became single recently, and I-I know he would get a big kick out of you.

MARCIA
Oh.  So, when do you want your poker lessons?

LARRY
Uh, next week.  I could take you to lunch.  We could -- we could, um, I'll put you on my expense account, and you could... teach me when to... bet and when to fold.

MARCIA
How about a cheeseburger right now?

-------------------------------------------------



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment