Wednesday, January 30, 2019

can't escape the feeling







The CAMERA PANS back on Larry and Marcia.  This is a different shot, with the camera in front of their table.  Marcia seems very relaxed with the cards in her hands, while Larry appears quite nervous.  He holds the cards close, protectively.

MARCIA
You seem in a strange mood.

LARRY
No, no, no.  I'm just probably just a little drunk.

MARCIA
On Perrier?

LARRY
No.  What are you talking about?  I had rum cake.

MARCIA
Want any cards?

                          Larry shuffles his cards in his hands, hesitating.

LARRY
Uh, one second.  Just let me, let me see, see what I, possibilities I got here.  Uh, yeah.  I'm gonna have, uh...  I'll have, uh...  I'm gonna have four cards.

MARCIA
Four?

LARRY
Yeah.



                           She gives him four cards.

MARCIA
Cruising for a bruising.

LARRY
Inside and outside straight.

                             Marcia looks at her cards.  Larry keeps shuffling his hand, nervously.

MARCIA
You're in trouble now.

LARRY
You know, I can't escape the feeling that my -- my wife is, becoming attracted to somebody else... and it's really bothering me.

MARCIA
Really.

LARRY
Yeah.  That's why I'm not playing my best.  This guy is, you know, more adventurous than I am, and for some reason they just seem to hit it off.  I'm gonna be very lonely if, uh, you know, if this happens.

MARCIA
You must love her a lot.

LARRY
Yeah, I do.  I do.



MARCIA
Uhm... if you want to hold onto her, you have to make some effort.  I mean -- who's the guy?

LARRY
Uh, Ted.  The guy that I fixed you up with.

MARCIA
Ted.

LARRY
Yeah.

MARCIA
Well, we could always switch.  Ted gets Carol, I can be your date.

LARRY
Maybe -- Maybe I should actually make a greater effort with -- with Carol....



EXT.  NYC street, the Waldron Hotel - Day

FULL SHOT of the hotel's entrance.  The pavement is wet, but it's no longer raining.  CAMERA PANS to car parked, other side of street.  Larry and Carol are in the car.






CAROL
So, you bored?  I mean...

LARRY
Well, it's more fun than the Wagner opera.

CAROL
Yeah.  Well, to me, I mean, just...  I mean, it's just one of the most exciting adventures I've ever been on.

LARRY
Would you rather be here with Ted?

CAROL
Well...  Well, he has a more enthused attitude, Larry.  I --

LARRY
More enthused?

CAROL
Yeah, enthused, yeah.

LARRY
Well, he's a fun guy.  He's a light guy, I'm a heavy guy.

CAROL
Well, I...

LARRY
You know, Ted -- Ted would be fun on a scavenger hunt.



CAROL
No, look.  I...  Larry, you used to be a lot of fun.

LARRY
You know, he's the guy you want if you have a really heavy scavenger hunt.  He's the man.

CAROL
I know, well, but, y-you know.  You used to...

LARRY
Do you know that this neighborhood was where I first took you out on a date when we -- we first started going out.

CAROL
What?  I don't know.  I don't know, just for some reason -- you've gotten so stodgy in your old age, you know?

LARRY
Hey, you remember there was a movie house right on this corner.

CAROL
No, I know.  Yes!  Yeah, I remember.

LARRY
Not to change the subject.

CAROL
You know, I...



LARRY
I took you to see "Last Year at Marienbad" on our first date?

CAROL
Yeah, I know.  I had to explain it to you for the next six months.

LARRY
Who knew they were flashbacks?  You know.

CAROL
Look, Larry.  Look.  We've got plenty of time to be conservative.  You know what I'm saying?  Don't you see?

                          The CAMERA starts moving around the car.

CAROL
It's -- to me, it's like this -- this tantalizing plum has just, like dropped into our laps.  I mean, life is just such a dull routine and here we are, right?  I mean, we're on the threshold of a genuine mystery.  I mean, to me, the whole thing is like -- it's...  Hey, no.

LARRY
Are you gonna burst into a song, here?  We're in a car.



CAROL
Just don't make fun of me, okay?  Because I'm open to new experiences.

LARRY
Let me ask you a personal question, here.

CAROL
Yeah.

LARRY
Did you ever sleep with Ted?

__________________________________________

{Manhattan Murder Mystery}



-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment