Monday, January 21, 2019

the city that never sleeps


{Manhattan Murder Mystery, continued}



...If you're going to have an affair with the guy, you don't need a murder to do it!

CAROL
I'm telling you, I saw Mrs. House.

                            Larry sits back at the table.

LARRY
Yes, I know, on the bus, the dead person's bus.  No car fare.

CAROL
I --  Okay.

LARRY
Now, sit down.  Let's...

CAROL
Now look.  Just -- I can tell you.  I can show you the exact spot, Larry.

LARRY
Yeah, I'm not going to see the exact spot.

CAROL
Uh--  what about lunch?  Tomorrow?

LARRY
No, I've got a business lunch tomorrow.  I got...

CAROL
On... on your, on your lunch hour?

LARRY
No, I got a business lunch.  I'm not interested.

CAROL
Oh, God.  I'm telling you...  I mean, this is such a shock.

LARRY
Hm?  I'm not interested.  Come on, will you...



                                  She walks away toward the front hall.

CAROL
I mean, I'm telling you, I'm just vibrating from this.  I mean, I saw this woman.

LARRY
Will you eat something?  We've got tickets to the theater.

                             Carol comes back into the room.

CAROL
What?  Wh...  I'm not going to the theater.

LARRY
(voice over)
What do you mean you're not go...  We've been holding onto these tickets for two months, now.

                               Carol walks again to the front hall and comes back toward the sitting room, via the kitchen.

CAROL
Do you comprehend the enormity of what I'm telling you, Larry?  Do you compre-

LARRY
If you've got a big story, tell it to the police.  Don't tell it to me.

CAROL
What am I going to say to them?

LARRY
Tell them your story.  Tell them this whole cocka-mamie story.

CAROL
What story?  I don't have a story.  I mean, I got nothing.  Unless...  Oh!

LARRY
That's right.  That's right, you've got nothing.

CAROL
Unless...  Unless I locate her.

LARRY
Yeah, okay, good.  Now, will you sit down because we're going to the theater.  I don't care what you say.

                                She takes a drink of water in the kitchen.



INT.  Apt. bldg. lobby - Night

Larry and Carol coming out of the elevator.  They cross the lobby.  Jack the building super, is standing near the entrance.

LARRY
Oh, Jack?  You - you were there when Mrs. House died, right?  You saw her?

CAROL
Right.  Yeah.  You saw her lying there, right?

JACK
Yes, she was lying on the floor.

CAROL
You said...  Yeah, but... but you're, you're sure it was her, right?

LARRY
Hey, he said it was lying on the floor.  Right.  Right.  You know, I... He's sure.  He's sure.  He's sure.

JACK
She was in that bag.  Yeah.

LARRY
My-my-my wife's been having some bad dreams, and she doesn't know what she's talking about.



CAROL
Okay, look.  Yeah, yeah.

                             Larry gives some cash to Jack.

LARRY
Yeah, this is, this is for all the times I call you to fix the faucet and you show up six months late.

JACK
Thanks.

INT.  Theater - Night

Audience watching the show.  Music.  Carol and Larry sitting in the audience, with people all around them.  Carol turns toward Larry and starts whispering.

CAROL
I mean, I know he didn't see Mrs. House, Larry.

LARRY
If she's a twin, it's a different story.  But you don't seem to feel she is, so...

CAROL
Well, I don't know.  Oh, I know.  Unless he's in on it.

LARRY
Who's in on it?  The super?  The super can't change a fuse.

                            The lady sitting on the other side of Larry gives them a look, and Carol taps Larry's arm.

CAROL
Sshhh!...  Sshhh...

                             A short pause.



CAROL
I mean, she...

LARRY
What?

CAROL
Well, she's alive.  and my question is, who was in that bag.  I mean, somebody.

LARRY
She's not alive, unless she's a twin.  Okay?  Now keep quiet...

                           A couple of audience members around them are giving them the look, again.

CAROL
Look, somebody...  Somebody got cremated, Larry.  Somebody.

LARRY
Shut up.






-30-     

No comments:

Post a Comment