Wednesday, October 14, 2020

pack up your troubles, come on get happy

 


____________________________________

Sid Luft; Judy Garland


Yesterday's blog post here had two minor difficulties--somehow the print got big and I don't know how to make it go back.


It does that sometimes.  I don't know how to avoid it or fix it.  (Just so Readers understand:  I'm not trying to "yell" in my blog by having big letters...)


The other thing--ever since seventh grade when they taught us about drugs in science class, I have thought the word was 

"barbituates."

As it turns out, there's another "r" in there:

barbiturates.


     (Still doesn't look right to me! LOL)  

Anyway, in my line of work I don't have to refer to "barbituRates" very often, or maybe never, so--it'll be OK...

_______________________________

 

Watching (listening to) movies about Judy Garland's life and Marilyn Monroe's life, the narrative of "pills to help her sleep at night and pills to help her wake up in the morning" is--practically identical in both.


What did I notice about the Judy Garland movie?

It seemed like--when she wasn't working, she wanted to be working.  And when she was working, she didn't always want to come in to work.

     Her third husband with whom she had her longest marriage (13 years), Sid Luft, was a bit of a unique character.  He seemed like the best one.  But somebody needed to get the money organized.


During the movie, I would get an uneasy feeling at times -- like I was being dragged into something negative and dangerous.


     Got that same "dragging" feeling periodically during The Secret Life of Marilyn Monroe.  Her mother!  What an awful person.  And then you stop yourself because it's like, well--she had mental health issues and so we don't judge her behavior too much because she can't help it.  We give her empathy...

     But it struck me, for a crazy person, seemed like she was somehow always perfectly lucid, logical, and mentally organized whenever she saw a chance to sabotage and verbally "stick the knife into" her daughter.  She was covert--she'd pretend to go along being reasonably nice, and then she'd "pounce."


     I was starting to get really irritated with Susan Sarandon, the actress playing the part!  haha


     (My dad said when he saw Gaslight, he wanted to punch Charles Boyer.  I guess it must run in the family...)


-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment